Discuss Fault Finding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Alright, I recently sat my FICA and failed section E (Fault Diagnosis) and I have my resit next Monday but my problem is I've never actually done fault finding before. I've read about it and looked over some basic notes but my first real attempt at it was on the day of my test! I know that there's only really 4 basic faults you can get(short circuit, open circuit, earth fault and reversed polarity) and that it really couldn't be any more straight forward as you do it with a buzzer/bell but I just wondered if anyone has any tips for this they can pass on... ?

Find the faulty circuit, split it down to half way, test both halfs to find which of those is faulty, split it down again until you find it. Repair, reconnect.

Read the fault cards CAREFULLY
then try to locate the fault ? When it comes to two way switching faults remove pass wires ect so there is no back feeds

In fact as trev says split all them down (if it needs it)

Alright, I recently sat my FICA and failed section E (Fault Diagnosis) and I have my resit next Monday but my problem is I've never actually done fault finding before. I've read about it and looked over some basic notes but my first real attempt at it was on the day of my test! I know that there's only really 4 basic faults you can get(short circuit, open circuit, earth fault and reversed polarity) and that it really couldn't be any more straight forward as you do it with a buzzer/bell but I just wondered if anyone has any tips for this they can pass on... ?
wow.

no earth leakage clamps or ramp goin on here then....

Dear oh dear, oh dear!! ...Is that what is considered as fault finding within the AM2/FICA ??
And there are people telling me that modern day courses and exams are no different than those of yesteryear!! Well i have some bad news for them, ''Only in Your Wildest Dreams''!!!!

The OP has stated that he has never done any fault finding, ...then how come questions are being set, that the course supposedly hasn't covered??

Have to admit not knowing much about this exam,but dead test only? Bell continuity? ...this sounds more like an end of module test or training assessment. The "F" in FICA standing for "final",does not inspire confidence...I would recommend to the OP boning up on the rest of the fundamental testing methods and procedures before booking in for further exams. This would give you the ability to tackle this exam with a higher degree of confidence.Have checked test requirements,and it is just one module out of several parts (section"E" as in OP's post,sorry)....notwithstanding,this means either your tutor/course or your good self,failed to prepare for what is an itemised section of an accepted exam.There are reasons why this happened,and they are your yours to know....Put it behind you,research the part you missed on,study,practice and you WILL be successful. The fact you have been candid about this on an open forum shows you care,so go and nail it.Good luck.

Last edited:

Reply to Fault Finding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net