Discuss Faulty extractor fan in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I fitted a Vent-Axia extractor fan a little while ago (about a couple of months if my memory serves me correctly). Now my customer informs me it has stopped working. It will of course be under warranty, but do I have any rights when it comes to getting Vent-Axia to pay for my time/call out/expenses (assuming of course that it is the fan and not the wiring that is at fault)? If so how much should I expect? My usual call out fee, or will they have a standard amount that they pay? Also should I buy a replacement and then ask for a refund for the old one, or do I have to send back the old one and wait for a replacement? And should I deal with Vent-Axia directly, or with my supplier?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tell your wholesaler that you're bringing a faulty one back and they might not book it out, otherwise put it on your account then expect an invoice and a credit note. Your contract is with your wholesaler, not Vent Axia so you're unlikely to be successful with hitting them with a bill.
As an aside, these issues are the reason most of us put a mark up on any gear we supply.

As trev has said you won't be able to claim any money from the manufacturer. Best to exchange with wholesaler. Most manufacturer would cover cost for collection \ delivery under warranty for any repairs booked with them direct.

Thanks for the helpful replies, it was from Screwfix (I should have mentioned that), but I guess the principles hold true. I will speak to them and hopefully get it sorted out. I was hopeful about getting paid as MK payed me (eventually) to change a main switch when they had a recall, but I guess that's a slightly different situation.

It's p***ing me off as I already have to return twice to another customer to change a floodlight he didn't like. Will be making a pittance on that.

Trev and nickblake have raised the issue of markups. I do (although I didn't initially) put a markup, on non-stock items, which varies between 10% and 35% (10% for a high cost item, 35% if I have to go right across town for something for £1.50). I tend to reckon this covers time finding a suitable product and ordering/collecting/purchasing it etc, as well as unexpected costs such as postage added at checkout for internet purchases, price rises since last purchase or between quoting for and being awarded a job, and items customers change their mind about. I guess it will have to cover time for replacing faulty items as well! But thanks for the tip anyway - it took me a while to work out I had to add a markup, so hopefully others starting out who are reading this will be saved having to learn it the hard way.

The new fan is ordered from SF now and I will return the faulty one for a refund once I have removed it.

Thanks again folks

Reply to Faulty extractor fan in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net