Discuss Faulty light, do I charge customer to replace in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sometimes it's a spratt to catch a mackerel. by doing the call-out/labour for free, OP will build his rep. and could maybe get some decent work from the customer or his family/friends as a result.

Hi Dave,

Ive not seen the issue, just explained how the light was only outputting 25% and that he would like to upgrade to a brighter light.

I'm going to have a look one evening.

Interesting, if it's only outputting 25% then how does he know that when you've fixed it and it's outputting 100% that it won't be bright enough?

I call this suspicious, but then I'm a cynical sod!

Maybe it's one of those lights that produces a low level light via a photocell during the hours of darkness then goes to 'full power' when an inbuilt PIR is activated ? It might be a/a dozy customer b/ adjustment required or c/ both.

Hi,

I installed a security light 8mths ago, customer has informed me the light is only partially working.

Customer wants a replacement or upgrade and he will pay cost of upgraded fitting.

Where do I stand with this regards it being a manufactures Defect and not a fault of my installation. Do I charge labour or not?
If you supplied the light then I would think you should replace it as a goodwill gesture as it has been less than a year since it was installed,we are in the trade to make money and when you show goodwill and common sense it often brings more money your way,although the it also brings a lot of mickey takers at the same time,but that's another story

Interesting, if it's only outputting 25% then how does he know that when you've fixed it and it's outputting 100% that it won't be bright enough?

I call this suspicious, but then I'm a cynical sod!
We have all been there, the lights not working and the cable has been ripped out of the back but NO ONE HAS TOUCHED IT!! , just quicker to change it and spend minimum brain time trying to make sense out of nonsense

I fitted a ceiling light, that a customer had supplied. The light didn't hang straight and no amount of tinkering would correct it. The customer contacted the shop and they sent a replacement and agreed to pay for my time to swap them over. The replacement wasn't much better, so another replacement was supplied and I was paid to swap them again!

Tha
I fitted a ceiling light, that a customer had supplied. The light didn't hang straight and no amount of tinkering would correct it. The customer contacted the shop and they sent a replacement and agreed to pay for my time to swap them over. The replacement wasn't much better, so another replacement was supplied and I was paid to swap them again!
It is good if you are paid to keep installing the fittings,however we don't tend to get paid for the hours wasted taking and making calls and being diverted to call centres for half an hour and trying to explain to somebody on a telephone exactly what a raw plug is

Tha

It is good if you are paid to keep installing the fittings,however we don't tend to get paid for the hours wasted taking and making calls and being diverted to call centres for half an hour and trying to explain to somebody on a telephone exactly what a raw plug is

True!

Tha

is that opposed to a cooked plug?

Reply to Faulty light, do I charge customer to replace in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock