Discuss Faulty MCB. Problem isolating ring final circuit at CU with MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am planning to move a socket outlet. The CU is largely unlabelled so don't know which 32 MCB to switch off. There are 2 x 32a MCB. All other mcbs are for lights (6a) and a dedicated immersion (16a).
To isolate the circuit, I tried switching off the first of the two 32a mcb which isolated some of the sockets but not the one I need to move. So I switched the 2nd 32a mcb off too (so now all/both 32a MCBs off but some of sockets still live.
So I tested RCD and main switch which tripped all sockets other circuits off.
I am assuming there is no cross over of ring circuits and that the 2nd circuit is not picking up a live from elsewhere (heavens forbid) although I then switched off all MCBs on all circuits and the 2nd 32a circuit was still live.
Can I conclude that the 2nd MCB is faulty and so not switching off and needs replacing or is there any other possible cause?
I'm an amateur so please bear with me and this is my 1st post.

Is it a flat?Did the main switch isolate your mystery socket?..Have you been unknowingly shareing with a neighbour.Try...main switch off..if all dead swop the 2 mcbs.And see if the same problem breaker is still passing through a voltage while switched off..Could the immerson circuit and a ring leg be mixed up.

Reply to Faulty MCB. Problem isolating ring final circuit at CU with MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hope you're all well . I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been browsing these forums for a while, always great to learn a new way to skin the same cat. Anyway, cut a long story short, was an...
Replies
Views
Hi Customer has an extractor fan that’s inside the shower cubicle high up on the wall. The extractor fan has no form of isolation and is wired...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock