Discuss faulty photocell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

goldie

Hi all. Any one had and probs controlling leds from ss4 dusk/dawn photocells?
I replaced 3 150w metal halides with 3 70w led floods. Worked perfectly fine and the customer asked me to fit some extra led strips for his sign lighting 4weeks later (L.v complete with trannys) . The lights stayed on constantly since fitting the strips. Replaced the ss4. All ok.
1 day later stayed on constantly again because new ss4 has packed up again.
Anything to do with Led driver for strips?

Could be to do with the high in rush current when the lamps are starting. In some LEDs it can be 400 times greater than the running current. This could weld the contacts of the photocell closed. I take it though this was all checked out pre installation.

How could I have checked it?
The ss4 is rated at 2 kw though. And it was switching 450w inductive load fine prior to this.
They worked fine on 210w led untill I added two 30watt strip leds.

The load might be minimal but the inrush could be massive. That extra 30W fitting could have added 12000W to the inrush.

Is the photocell a relay contact output or solid state switch? Maybe try wiring the photocell via a 2-pole DIN mounted contactor using 1 pole for the floods and the other pole for the strip lighting.

You will find most lighting companies do manufacture photo cells for LED lighting, I have purchased them myself for projects, I know Cooper lighting do them as do others, due to this fact there must be a reason why this is the case, and maybe a Google may help.

The penny has dropped. Cheers.
The last three comments sum it up.
Ive added another tranny/driver, all of the lights have their own drivers and is not fed from from one driver source which would have been ideal but not practical.
So changing to solid state lighting with all these inrushes for the independant lights have upset my sensor.
I shall bob a contractor in...... I mean contactor. Thanks again

You will find most lighting companies do manufacture photo cells for LED lighting, I have purchased them myself for projects, I know Cooper lighting do them as do others, due to this fact there must be a reason why this is the case, and maybe a Google may help.
I will look into that. Cheers.
Might be easier to use yhese instead of contactor.

Reply to faulty photocell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net