Discuss Faulty socket? Works the sink disposal but won't power a dishwasher? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

big gus

Chaps, I'll don a tin hat here as someone is going to tell me I'm dim.

Problem is this: old property, plug socket under kitchen sink, it powers the sink food disposal churner thingy but when I unplug that and try to install a new dishwasher it won't send any power to it?? I just tried plugging in a kettle and it won't power that either. Is there anything I can do? Or am I left with no option but to drill through the worktop to use one of the power sockets on the wall?

Oh, it's a moulded plug too. So would mean either chopping it off and rewiring OR drilling a two-inch hole in the worktop and carefully placing the microwave over the hole :)

Any help appreciated.

Does the waste disposal still work when it's plugged into the socket under the sink?
Have you got any test equipment Gus?

Very strange Gus. Sockets just give out power. If it works on your food disposable unit the it will work with a washing machine.
You may find that there is a fused spare before the waste disposal socket that has a small fuse in it. When you have plugged in the washing machine it may have blown the fuse.
As Marvo has said "Does the waste disposal still work when it's plugged into the socket under the sink?"
Try plugging a light into it. Make sure the light works on a different socket first.
Does the socket have a fused spare near it? If it does then check out what size fuse is in it.

Hi Marvo/Spoon... thanks for the replies. So i'm not being thick? I've tried it again - sink disposal is plugged in and works fine. I unplugged the sink disposal and plugged in a kettle and it doesn't work.

Haven't got a light/lamp to hand but if it's important I can find one and try that. This has flummoxed me.

Without proper test equipment you're not going to be able to find the problem(s) and I'm suspecting there may be more than one. There's also a possibility that there's a dangerous mixture of faults at present so I'd strongly suggest you don't use that socket or the waste disposal until everything's been tested by someone with equipment and experience.

One possibility is the socket is missing a neutral and the waste disposal has a leak and a large insulation fault (assuming there's no RCD on that circuit) but it's guesswork and there are other possibilities.

My best advice would be to get a qualified sparky to check it out. I'd also caution you not to mess around with this socket when it's live because missing neutral faults are famous for giving people shocks.

Last edited:
My best advice would be to get a qualified sparky to check it out. I'd also caution you not to mess around with this socket when it's live because missing neutral faults are famous for giving people shocks.

I second this.
See if anyone on this site is from your area and can come round to check it out for you.

Reply to Faulty socket? Works the sink disposal but won't power a dishwasher? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net