Discuss Fauna......18month old installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
Got a job I completed about 18 months ago.Big 5 bed refurb with multiple extensions so it's a full installation from scratch. Got a call this morning saying RCD won't reset, went through the usual procedure over the phone and get them to leave the circuit breaker off for the circuit in question so they can get the RCD to reset...Went there this afternoon and carried an IR test out on the circuit and it's as flat as a pancake line-earth.... split the circuit in half and still flat as pancake on both legs of the ring final circuit.... only 12 sockets on the circuit so Carry out installation resistance testing until I find the legs with the faults... 1 leg that's down is between 3rd and 4th socket and the other leg that's down is between board and last socket in the order I was testing.

It's a complete nightmare as solid wood flooring down, Laura Ashley wall paper and so on....can't turn it in to a radial because the fault between 3rd and 4th socket so I'm stuck with having to get a new leg in between 3rd and 4th socket and turning it into a radial or getting two new legs in and keeping it as a RFC. Not botherd about loading as only serves a play room, bedroom and hall way socket.

Getting the new leg/legs in is going to be disruptive but unfortunately there is no getting around it. Although it's only 18months old I think I should be charging them....spent an hour there today and I've rearranged jobs for tomorrow so I can get back in there in the morning to sort it out. They clearly have a rodent problem as two legs of a RFC just don't go down all of a sudden after 18months...what's your thoughts?

or possibly faulty cable. i had some SWA . 1 conductor went down (open circuit) after 3 weeks.

Got a job I completed about 18 months ago.Big 5 bed refurb with multiple extensions so it's a full installation from scratch. Got a call this morning saying RCD won't reset, went through the usual procedure over the phone and get them to leave the circuit breaker off for the circuit in question so they can get the RCD to reset...Went there this afternoon and carried an IR test out on the circuit and it's as flat as a pancake line-earth.... split the circuit in half and still flat as pancake on both legs of the ring final circuit.... only 12 sockets on the circuit so Carry out installation resistance testing until I find the legs with the faults... 1 leg that's down is between 3rd and 4th socket and the other leg that's down is between board and last socket in the order I was testing.

It's a complete nightmare as solid wood flooring down, Laura Ashley wall paper and so on....can't turn it in to a radial because the fault between 3rd and 4th socket so I'm stuck with having to get a new leg in between 3rd and 4th socket and turning it into a radial or getting two new legs in and keeping it as a RFC. Not botherd about loading as only serves a play room, bedroom and hall way socket.

Getting the new leg/legs in is going to be disruptive but unfortunately there is no getting around it. Although it's only 18months old I think I should be charging them....spent an hour there today and I've rearranged jobs for tomorrow so I can get back in there in the morning to sort it out. They clearly have a rodent problem as two legs of a RFC just don't go down all of a sudden after 18months...what's your thoughts?
Hi Lee how have you determined it's a Rodent causing the trouble?

If I've understood correctly you've found 2 N-E faults in one RFC that was installed and tested ok 18 months ago. That's pretty unusual - is it worth a bit more time to explore?

Bit of a punt @Pete999 but unless like @telectrix says faulty cable then I can't think what else it could possibly be. It's been in 18months and all working fine until this morning. The section of house that the RFC serves is the only section with a suspended floor. IIRC there's about and 8" void.

My oops too - sorry. Anywhen, I guess there's no chance to pull that cable back ? Usually the rats leave conductors exposed or bite right through them. But he could have expired on the job and be causing the issue. Out of interest, what was the IR? Is there any chance there's water in that void?

Edit - no medication here yet either. Have to wait till she goes out tonight :)

Reply to Fauna......18month old installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net