Discuss Favourite brand for sockets? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

Just interested in what everyone's favourite brand for sockets is with regards to looks and quality.

I prefer the look of MK and find Crabtree easier to connect.

I prefer MK simply because in my opinion they have the best child proof shutters. Not so happy about the terminal screws having such a shallow cut in them, but its the end user I'm concerned about.
They also have DP switching with Neutral make first and break last feature.

Personally I think the MK sockets stink, they were the market leader at one time and for good reason, today they are mickey mouse cheap and cheerful chinese carp, Crabtree were my favorite at one time until they changed the terminations inside and are now carp as well. Today I would use and recommend the Hager range of socket outlets, they look good, are good value for money and are almost unbreakable unlike other makes which crack when the screws are over tightened.

Personally I think the MK sockets stink, they were the market leader at one time and for good reason, today they are mickey mouse cheap and cheerful chinese carp, Crabtree were my favorite at one time until they changed the terminations inside and are now carp as well. Today I would use and recommend the Hager range of socket outlets, they look good, are good value for money and are almost unbreakable unlike other makes which crack when the screws are over tightened.

Hager must be good if they are Ogre proof :smile5:

if white then telco ones from tlc are really good and value for money. manufactured by knightsbridge.
MK is crap, especially those screws to fix the cable, small screw head gets damaged easily.
had some flat screwless BG on recent job, customers brought it, I expected total nightmare but they werent bad at all.

Hager (90%) or MK for me. Like the straight line up of the terminals which makes it nicer to terminate. Never tried the click gear, seen them in Eddys for ages and think they look quite nice but never used them except for the odd light switch.

For me it also depends on what is being installed. I don't like the look of the Hager cooker switches (with a socket) so if I am doing a kitchen I may lean too another brand. The actual switches on them look awkwardly big! For the price I think Hager are hard to beat.

I find customers quite often look astounded if I show them three different sockets asking which one would they like.

Last edited:

Reply to Favourite brand for sockets? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net