Discuss fcu from cooker circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pieman

I have recently had my house flooded, my insurance company have redone my kitchen but changed the location the dishwasher will be in to get it closer to the plumbing. I need to get power to the dishwasher but the socket above has already been spured (more than once and not by me) so don't want to go off that (insurance company been unhelpful). No other sockets near by there is however a cooker outlet (isolator switch with 13 amp socket) above if I run 6mm cable (same as cooker circuit) to a fused connection unit then down to 2.5mm am I breaking any regs? Cant see an issue with it apart from been 'not the done thing' but I wouldn't want to overlook anything. If its in anyway unsafe I will call in someone qualified (i'm currently training) Thanks in advance

although unconventional, i can;t see a problem.

Extend the dishwasher cable to the cooker outlet socket maybe ? or . If the mcb on the cooker radial is 32 amp you can extend in 2.5mm not 6mm upto 3 mtrs without issues regs wise 433.3 i think on memory just like a spur & put it on your minor works cert for future ref . surface installation under plinth no rcd needed meth c

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys. The mcb is rated 32amp, also it is protected by a 30ma rcd. We discussed moving the dishwasher closer to the water supply but didn't expect the socket above to be spured (novice mistake) I had also originally hoped they were doing the full kitchen installation not leaving bits for us to finish.

I'll ask again.....

You can't add to the load if its already close to its limit and most cookers should be on a dedicated circuit.........
sorry I misunderstood your question. 5.8kw for all hobs can't seem to find any specs on the oven and grill but will keep looking. Oven is in storage so going on online info on the same model

Are you likely to use the cooking appliances and dishwasher at the same time.
Unlikely but possible, however I have never in the time I have had the cooker had 4 hobs, grill and oven running at the same time. Usualy at most doing a sunday roast would be 2 hobs at 14.16amps and the oven at 7.5amps. The cable is clipped in an uninsulated ceiling and wall on a run of 4-5 meters. I'm new to this so respect and will follow the advice of if its a risk don't do it. Will have to think of another way, just didn't want to get into ripping tiles ect off if I didn't need to.

Unlikely but possible, however I have never in the time I have had the cooker had 4 hobs, grill and oven running at the same time. Usualy at most doing a sunday roast would be 2 hobs at 14.16amps and the oven at 7.5amps. The cable is clipped in an uninsulated ceiling and wall on a run of 4-5 meters. I'm new to this so respect and will follow the advice of if its a risk don't do it. Will have to think of another way, just didn't want to get into ripping tiles ect off if I didn't need to.
Why not temporarily plug it into the cooker control unit socket and see what happens, if you have no problem you have a solution, go with your original method.

Why not temporarily plug it into the cooker control unit socket and see what happens, if you have no problem you have a solution, go with your original method.
If I have a problem I assume its just an mcb overload rather than cable overload issue? Thanks for your help. I'm new to this forum and everyone has been very helpful

Reply to fcu from cooker circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net