Currently reading:
Feed to flat in escape route - best option?

Discuss Feed to flat in escape route - best option? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a job coming up where I likely need to replace old twin and earth (imperial size) feeding one, perhaps two flats in a 3 storey converted building.

The ground floor is a separate front entrance, the upper flats have a side entrance with stairwell, which is protected with smoke and EL, though not sure if a FRA exists, or if it counts as a protected escape route (there is an external metal staircase as well).

The current T&E is buried in the wall, but for ease/cost I'd like to surface mount from the meters (under the stairs at ground level) and up to the flat.

My current thinking is SWA surface clipped with Dline or Linian clips. Obviously there will be a suitable fuse in the meter cupboard to protect the run.

Anyone see an issue with that and feel an alternative is better or required (steel trunking for example)? I haven't worked with steel conduit or MICC so would rather this wasn't the job to start on...

If I go with SWA, should I be sourcing BS 7846 fire resistant cabling? If so, anyone know of a wholesaler that sells it by the metre?

Don't have a roof rack because I need to fit under 2m for underground car parks sometimes. Might see if they can deliver, otherwise need to find places that sell them in 2m lengths, but will definitely investigate it as an option.
I have found the wholesale houses here are happy to deliver stuff in the local region. Both Edmundson and Holland House have delivered trunking, conduit, big reels of cable, etc, to our site for free as none of us have a van or even estate car, and that is about 10 miles away from the Dundee warehouses.

Reply to Feed to flat in escape route - best option? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock