Discuss Few questions for an electrical installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it really this complex?
Well yes and no. Yes it is, and no as it is standard fare for an electrician. As you say there is no distance and yes it does sound very straightforward. And once again I am all for you going for it. Please don't be discouraged by the nature of what I have introduced. Just trying to let you know that it may not be that complex but equally is is not quite as simple as one could easily assume. What I have talked about is standard consideration in designing a circuit and as we do it almost everyday it is one of those things that is easy, once you know how.

I think these circuits are so rudimentary most electricians would not perform any calculations however this whole thing is misconceived with no discrimination between rcds and overcurrent protective devices.

I rang BCO and asked whether I could do the install myself, they knew I wasn't qualified, and they said yes, but I would have to have the electrician who works for the council come out and certify, which costs £360, which seemed fine given the few prices I'd had for other jobs.

MikeGT the members having given advice here, have justifiable concerns over your ability to carry out this work safely and correctly. Unlike plastering, plumbing of water systems etc, electricity is obviously potentially dangerous to the installer and end user, as opposed to poor quality workmanship or water damage. As you have no experience or even practical skills as an electrician, a project of even this size, could put you or your family members at risk.

I'm a member of avforums, where members there undertake similar projects, for cinema rooms or even show casing whole house renovations. Most are sensible or perhaps realistic & recognise their limitations, and use the appropriate trades and carry out some of the easy take themselves. As a young man, I use to service my own vehicles, now days I leave that to persons who have the skills, knowledge & tools to carry out the work safely & correctly, I want my brakes to work when I need them.

If you are determined to go ahead with this, you should speak in depth with your LBC, to see how the installation would be inspected & tested as you proceed, for example the hole for footings has to be inspected & approved by LBC, before the concrete is poured. In my experience LBC, have little dealings & experience with people carry out their own DIY electrical installation, so the process might not be straightforward.

You might find Electrical Safety First web site a useful read;
Electrical Safety First - The UK's Electrical Safety Experts - http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/

So in short...
"Hi, I don't respect your trade enough to hire someone to do the job as it is easy, but can you tell me how to do it please, and for free ?"

:laughing::tearsofjoy: :fist::sweatdrops:

If someone had the rudeness and cheek to ring me up and ask that I'd laugh them off the phone with a few choice insults thrown in. Why should asking on the internet be any different ?

a budding Lee Child and Gordom Ramsey in 1 package, whatever next? :)

atom splitting is easy, you just need a microscopic version of a log splitter. and you don't get splinters.

Now now let us not forget that the blurb to the forum is Free electrical advice and that is what we are doing here, no need to rip the guy a new whatsitcalled is there.

"Gain free Electrical Advice from the UK's friendliest electrical advice website, Electricians Forums. Where Professional, DIY and Auto Electricians Talk and share advice and help each other out"
So surely let us act in the spirit of that no? Don't worry about me I'm thick skinned!

Reply to Few questions for an electrical installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net