Discuss Fill me in please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
What fillers do folks find easiest to use for filling in around minor works like chiselling into walls for back boxes etc?

One time is handy for ceiling holes as it is so light it doesn't sag. Proper plaster around boxes and chases, goes off quickly and can be properly troweled flat. Filler takes forever to harden and always looks DIY.

Possibly small bags are available...but a regular bag of multifinish is dirt cheap compared to filler. A trick of us old'uns is to leave an open bag of plaster in the shed/garage. You'll find that after a few weeks it'll go off much quicker than fresh plaster and is perfect for making good. I've currently got a bag that goes off in about 10 minutes and finishes just as well as fresh. No waiting around for flush sockets, chop out...box in...make good..socket on...out the door.

Tough Coat plaster as a base filler for chases etc (always get a plasterer to do a final skim), and, out on the raggedy edge, a dri-wall adhesive for minor repairs around back boxes, small holes in ceilings. Sets quickly and goes off rock hard. Again, never do as a final finish, that's for the decorator.

Possibly small bags are available...but a regular bag of multifinish is dirt cheap compared to filler. A trick of us old'uns is to leave an open bag of plaster in the shed/garage. You'll find that after a few weeks it'll go off much quicker than fresh plaster and is perfect for making good. I've currently got a bag that goes off in about 10 minutes and finishes just as well as fresh. No waiting around for flush sockets, chop out...box in...make good..socket on...out the door.
What sort of shed do you use? :rolleyes:

Reply to Fill me in please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net