Discuss Finding a decent plumber!!!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Piece of pi$$ mate .... it's just a few pipes & fittings & things. What could possible go wrong??? ;)

Oi! the only leaks I've ever had were on my first attempt.
Did some Yorkshire joints, good blast with the burner, SOLID!
Drip, drip, drip.
No flux.
Not a single bad joint since. Even end feed.
Can't match Marv's last effort though. :)

Soldering pipes is as easy as soldering anything else really.

It's the knowing of which pipe goes where that gets a tad more tricky. It amazes me how many electricians who wire boiler systems haven't taken the time to learn about the plumbing side of things.
How can you hope to install a control system for something when you don't understand how the system works?

The only thing that will require bonding, and only as a damned peace keeping exercise, is the gas. The damned gas safe bods have got plumbers convinced that every gas meter must have a 10mm bond on it or else the apocalypse will be upon us or something.

And isn't that a royal pain?!

Did a rewire as part of a refurb a little while back. The house had mains gas installed for the first time. It was a new plastic pipe, run through an old metal coal gas supply pipe under the path. A short metal upstand of pipe that came through the kitchen wall (still metal) and connected to the new (plastic bodied) meter. Metal from the meter to the boiler.

The boiler wasn't grounded through the water pipes, which ran back to the stop tap, then through the wall (in copper) to the plastic water meter. So the only earthing/bonding in contact with the pipework for
water or gas was the CPC in the boiler's power supply.

No amount of explanation on readings would sway the gas boys. 10mm bond after the stop/meter or they wouldn't connect.

Oi! the only leaks I've ever had were on my first attempt.
Did some Yorkshire joints, good blast with the burner, SOLID!
Drip, drip, drip.
No flux.
Not a single bad joint since. Even end feed.
Can't match Marv's last effort though. :)
before I left school I did about 4 years of plumbing with my old chap(weekends and holidays) anyway I got quite good at it.some years later my sons mate gets married and buys his first house,job number one new bathroom suite.I offered my help as he'd not done plumbing before but got the old "it's ok I've read a book" routine,anyway 9pm and he's on the phone crying,no water since 8 am and a very peed off wife.I went round to his house and he'd done a lovely job,all new pipe to everything.the trouble was he had a weep on the stop tap and the soldered joint onto the old copper wouldn't take,the outside tap pit was full of crap and he'd spent about 3 hours and loads of gas trying to solder it.I removed the fitting and used a compression joint,water on no leaks all good,"tell me" he said "what would you have done if I'd have took up your offer of help" "well" I replied "exactly what I've done now but we'd have finished a damn site sooner"

Hi,

I agree with what you say. The point I am trying to make is that it is good procedure to have Gas and water bond in place. We don,t advise people to check whether their pipework is extraneous or not, we always reccomend that it should be bonded.

Regards.

Its pointless if whatevers being bonded is extraneous. Just a waste of bonding clamps and 10mm earth

The age-old issue of bonding is one which I feel will haunt us for many a year to come. Even with a plastic incomer which is checked to NOT be an extraneous conductive part, but with copper pipework after the stopcock, most sparkies will bond anyway just to shut everyone up who doesn't have a clue, and says "you know you should have bonded that!"
All that said, I bet there are plenty of electricians out there who don't know how to carry out the correct test for whether something is an ECP anyway.

The age-old issue of bonding is one which I feel will haunt us for many a year to come. Even with a plastic incomer which is checked to NOT be an extraneous conductive part, but with copper pipework after the stopcock, most sparkies will bond anyway just to shut everyone up who doesn't have a clue, and says "you know you should have bonded that!"
All that said, I bet there are plenty of electricians out there who don't know how to carry out the correct test for whether something is an ECP anyway.

Guidance note 8 explains it well. How to test if it is extraneous or not is something we were not taught at college, we were just taught what extraneous conductive parts are and why we bond them.

Guidance note 8 explains it well. How to test if it is extraneous or not is something we were not taught at college, we were just taught what extraneous conductive parts are and why we bond them.

I agree. From some of the posts on here though, it's obvious that GN8 doesn't explain it quite well enough for some people.

the question will always be "is it extraneous or extra terrestial?"

spock.jpg

I was asked to cast my beady eye over a flat conversion. Nothing official, what did I think of the general standard of workmanship.

Electrical:
Safe zones? What are they?
I know of three joints hidden in the wall. The plumber is a crack shot when it comes to cables.
A sub board with a 25mm 3c SWA. I think they used an axe to make it off

Plastering:
Abysmal is being nice.

Plumbing:
An en-suite you can only sit on the toilet @45° the sink is in the way.
Then I found this
PlumbingForesters_zps4e5cdb43.jpg

The kitchen fitter is a brilliant craftsman and refuses to touch electrics or plumbing. He leaves that to the others to wreck his work.

This is a money no object job. The guy that asked me to have a look wasn’t happy as I walked away shaking my head.

I was asked to cast my beady eye over a flat conversion. Nothing official, what did I think of the general standard of workmanship.

Electrical:
Safe zones? What are they?
I know of three joints hidden in the wall. The plumber is a crack shot when it comes to cables.
A sub board with a 25mm 3c SWA. I think they used an axe to make it off

Plastering:
Abysmal is being nice.

Plumbing:
An en-suite you can only sit on the toilet @45° the sink is in the way.
Then I found this
PlumbingForesters_zps4e5cdb43.jpg

The kitchen fitter is a brilliant craftsman and refuses to touch electrics or plumbing. He leaves that to the others to wreck his work.

This is a money no object job. The guy that asked me to have a look wasn’t happy as I walked away shaking my head.

Ok ... so the plumber ran short of pipe clips. How else was he supposed to secure the pipe to stop it rattling in the notch??

You might be a canny sparky, but ye've got a lot to learn aboot plumbing bonny lad. ;)

Ok ... so the plumber ran short of pipe clips. How else was he supposed to secure the pipe to stop it rattling in the notch??

You might be a canny sparky, but ye've got a lot to learn aboot plumbing bonny lad. ;)

Think he might be referring to a screwed pipe?
Hairfelt lagging in notches.

Reply to Finding a decent plumber!!!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net