Discuss Finish Training Soon Need Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chrishands

Hi, im 23yrs old will Have gained quals in 2356 Level 2 + Level 3. Test inspection and 17th edition by the end of this year. Am currently working as Maintenance Engineer, gaining very little install Experience lately, although i have had abit in the past.

Can anybody advise on the best ways in which i can gain Practical experience and exposure, I want to become a good electrician, and i certainly don't want to loose what i have already gained in knowledge, by not using it.

I understand i cant become qualified until i have completed nvq so please try not to dwell on that classic point, if you are willing to give me advice

Thankyou

Get on a firm that does a variety of work, domestic , commercial, industrial, etc. see what one takes your fancy and concentrate on that

i still want to work at my current place.
do you think there is work out there like that part time or on odd days off or not

Hat off to your honesty ... really experience comes by 2 routes ...
-going it alone and spending yrs of head scratching poor decisions and struggle to raise a reputation for business appeal or remain at your level where you are comfortable but limited customer base.
-find a company you can work with and gain experience with supervision and when you consider confidence makes you competent, then you go it alone..although you may be subject to a contractual agreement not to work in the same customer catchment area as the company you leave for a few years.

What ever you decide to do you need to work along side someone with experience so ring around and just offer your services to companies when they get busy and need spare hands..

Hat off to your honesty ... really experience comes by 2 routes ...
-going it alone and spending yrs of head scratching poor decisions and struggle to raise a reputation for business appeal or remain at your level where you are comfortable but limited customer base.
-find a company you can work with and gain experience with supervision and when you consider confidence makes you competent, then you go it alone..although you may be subject to a contractual agreement not to work in the same customer catchment area as the company you leave for a few years.

And if you are sod them lol

[/B]

And if you are sod them lol

Its standard practice to have this so as to protect your company if you employ people ... it stops the abuses who use you for 4yrs then leave and set up across the street.... its best to get employed by a company not directly next to or in the area you live.

That clause is not enforceable. They can sack you if you're working for them and moonlighting but if you leave they cannot stop you earning a living in that area no matter how many bits of paper you've been made to sign on joining the company.
It's called a restrictive covenant and unless there are commercially sensitive reasons for the covenant ( EG Thomas -v- Farr) where a director of Thomas's company left to set up on his own and there was a risk of Farr taking Thomas's commercial secrets with him at detriment to Thomas it was held that Thomas was entitled to prevent Farr from operating in a similar business within a given radius for a year.
There was another case involving a hairdresser where someone left and was prevented by their employment contract from working as a hairdresser for 5 years anywhere in the UK. This was thrown out of court as an unfair restriction. I forget the name of that case though.

Can anybody advise on the best ways in which i can gain Practical experience and exposure, I want to become a good electrician, and i certainly don't want to loose what i have already gained in knowledge, by not using it.

One thing I wouldn’t recommend is taking on a job you haven’t a clue how to do and thinking you can use us as your get out of jail card.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...-regulations/98876-house-concrete-floors.html

That clause is not enforceable. They can sack you if you're working for them and moonlighting but if you leave they cannot stop you earning a living in that area no matter how many bits of paper you've been made to sign on joining the company.
It's called a restrictive covenant and unless there are commercially sensitive reasons for the covenant ( EG Thomas -v- Farr) where a director of Thomas's company left to set up on his own and there was a risk of Farr taking Thomas's commercial secrets with him at detriment to Thomas it was held that Thomas was entitled to prevent Farr from operating in a similar business within a given radius for a year.
There was another case involving a hairdresser where someone left and was prevented by their employment contract from working as a hairdresser for 5 years anywhere in the UK. This was thrown out of court as an unfair restriction. I forget the name of that case though.

Poor example trev.... anywhere in the UK ????..not surprised it was thrown out, regarding the clause if you own a business and someone leaves and dips into your customer base ...IE takes some of your customers then they can file for a loss of profits against you for your actions, I know of a few occasions ... if you were to leave and say had a 5 mile contracted exclusion for 2yrs then a company can legally challenge a business you set up in competition - trust me I know I had it brought against me and if it wasn't for the lack of a written contract to my previous employers then I would have been in the quagmire- that was made clear by my solicitor, the case was thrown out as I never had an official contract in the 20yrs I worked there :) this I already knew before I left.

Reply to Finish Training Soon Need Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock