Discuss finishing another's work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some advice on whether to finish another guys work or not.

Got a phone call to go out and have a look at completing a rewire. Woman who owns the flat is very upset with the situation, her ex brother in law (supposedly fully qualified) started and nearly finished rewiring the flat (family fall out and he has never returned, she still has his tools), put a new board in but there's no RCD protection, no cover on board, cables sticking out of board, old wiring mixed with new and nothing marked, wired in mini trunking which is a mess, I'm unsure how he's wired it and would have to spend a bit of time dissing it out.

I don't know whether to price to complete the works, install a new RCD board and carry out EICR or just walk away. I felt really bad for her, I don't know if I can leave things in such an unsafe state (wish I had taken pics), at one point she nearly burst into tears. Part of me says I should stay well clear!

Hi guys, looking for some advice on whether to finish another guys work or not.

Got a phone call to go out and have a look at completing a rewire. Woman who owns the flat is very upset with the situation, her ex brother in law (supposedly fully qualified) started and nearly finished rewiring the flat (family fall out and he has never returned, she still has his tools), put a new board in but there's no RCD protection, no cover on board, cables sticking out of board, old wiring mixed with new and nothing marked, wired in mini trunking which is a mess, I'm unsure how he's wired it and would have to spend a bit of time dissing it out.

I don't know whether to price to complete the works, install a new RCD board and carry out EICR or just walk away. I felt really bad for her, I don't know if I can leave things in such an unsafe state (wish I had taken pics), at one point she nearly burst into tears. Part of me says I should stay well clear!

in this situation unless you want to bell out the circuits to see how they are layed out (this would take a lot of time and leave you cussing his arse out)
you would probably be better off re-doing everything yourself , this way you would be positively sure that everything passes testing and inspection.

since she has his tools she could probably sell them to recover some of the expense but she should check with a lawyer first

I did one of these once!

1 day EICR/ scoping job - supplied and fitted new CU - certificate for new CU only and Part P done!

Sounds in such a unfinished state that you could see what they have done, and Fix and keep going till the job is done and do a New Job (mind just gone blank on the form1 name)

Price and set out to fully re-do it.
If along the way you can reuse any existing (new), reduce the price accordingly at the end.

If they don't like the price, walk away.

It can't be that difficult to figure out if it's a flat.
Depending on the state of the trunking etc I'd price a new db, bell out cabling where necessary and finish job. 3rd party sign off form and collect the cash.

Reply to finishing another's work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock