Discuss Fire alarm panel relocation problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been to look at a fire alarm job and would like your opinion on how you would do it.
They want the fire alarm panel moving down the wall by about 3 foot.20170807_162448[1].jpg

It would need to be mounted underneath the nurse call system as the care workers have to get on a chair to reset it.
The wall is a studded partition and the wires terminate in the back using pyro for the bells and ordinary cable for the detectors.
I was thinking along the lines of ,take of the panel,run new wires up the partition behind the nurse call using firetuff type cable for all the wiring.Then mount a steel box where the existing cables are and joint everything in there.Seal round the box and at the back with fire sealant.Refit panel on new wires at lower level.
If anyone can think of a better way then i would love to hear your opinions.The floor above is inaccessible so i cannot pull the wires back up to joint.
Regards
Bob.

Just been to look at a fire alarm job and would like your opinion on how you would do it.
They want the fire alarm panel moving down the wall by about 3 foot.View attachment 37724

It would need to be mounted underneath the nurse call system as the care workers have to get on a chair to reset it.
The wall is a studded partition and the wires terminate in the back using pyro for the bells and ordinary cable for the detectors.
I was thinking along the lines of ,take of the panel,run new wires up the partition behind the nurse call using firetuff type cable for all the wiring.Then mount a steel box where the existing cables are and joint everything in there.Seal round the box and at the back with fire sealant.Refit panel on new wires at lower level.
If anyone can think of a better way then i would love to hear your opinions.The floor above is inaccessible so i cannot pull the wires back up to joint.
Regards
Bob.

All sounds good to me and no easier way really.
(One thing I do like is the use of ceramic connectors on your bell circuits, but that's just me)
Are all the smoke heads older than 10 years ? if so could change them as well.

The wall ends just past the nurse call.Was thinking of using wago connectors but ceramic connectors sound good(if you can still get them!).Last time i used them i was knee high to a grass hopper and i would have thought that they are rarer than hens teeth.

If we are mostly in agreement on how to do it then here comes the question of how much.I would allow a day to do it knowing that getting cables up studding(around existing nurse call wires is not going to be easy).Include the cost of the cables,joints,sealant, then i would have thought around the £300 mark?

If we are mostly in agreement on how to do it then here comes the question of how much.I would allow a day to do it knowing that getting cables up studding(around existing nurse call wires is not going to be easy).Include the cost of the cables,joints,sealant, then i would have thought around the £300 mark?

I think more like £550. Will you be testing the system yourself after, Or do you need to pay someone else?

Your only obstacle is cabling down the cavity, aside from that it should be straightforward but yes I would allow a day. You will need to fully retest the system and I would put aside two hours for that.

Reply to Fire alarm panel relocation problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net