• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss fire alarm system in flats?? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HI all,

got 6 flat to wire soon but wondering on what if any sort of fire alarm protection to do

basically its three rows of flats with one upstairs and one down, but three separate doors so it looks like three terrace houses , you open the door and immediately to your right is the door to the bottom flat, then straight up stairs and immediately to the right is the door to the top flat.

at the end of the flats is a leanto for the boiler and mains etc.

having trouble to see what to do about the smoke alarm system and what is best to put in, alo where would i put the panel??

another question have is it ok to run the concentric cable in the loft of two of the top flats to feed the mains to the other flats, also the aerials and phones if needed?

Cheers
Grand

If you are considering a Part 1 system you may have latter issues with the routine testing of it, is it going to be landlord controlled. You then have to decide on the Category of system and its extent through the property, for example will it just cover escape routes with sounders in the dwellings along with separate Part 6 systems in the dwellings. Are these private individual dwellings because a Part 1 system throughout will give rise to nuisance activation and frequent evacuation with the long term affect that people will eventually ignore it. Building structure and compartmentation will also be a factor, there is a lot to consider.

Some worrying questions here imo, do you think you have the knowledge & experience to be undertaking this job?
You cant just put in "what smokes" you think you need! You need properly designed plans/drawings to current 5389 standards.
Why are you using concentric cable? Woudnt swa be a better option.

You shouldn't really run the cables through the lofts of other flats. If it was me I would be looking at having a couple of ducts to each....one for the mains and another for the BT, TV etc. With regards to the fire alarm I would of thought it would be three seperate panels (one for each section) with 3 zones on each communal, and a zone each for the two flats that share the same communal area. Using addressable panels and cause and effect programming you could use an addressable input to trigger the sounders in each of the 3 sections if a fire is detected in the mains room/switch room. I would get someone in to do the design and commissioning and you just carry out the install side of things....This is what I generally do. Where abouts in the country are you? I know some one who's **** hot and reasonably priced.

Part 1 systems in private, separate dwellings is not a great idea. Sheltered housing which is managed 24hr maybe.

Part 1 systems would require regular testing and keeping log books /test records up to date so maybe not suitable for private dwellings unless it's going to be regularly maintained which I doubt

Part 1 systems would require regular testing and keeping log books /test records up to date so maybe not suitable for private dwellings unless it's going to be regularly maintained which I doubt
Yes I asked this in #4 because there is not enough info for the nature of the premises.

At this stage the is no point in getting anyone to design or start an install.
First Building control and local fire officer are required to conduct their fire risk assessment. The will decide on a full fire system or an AOV system, or even both. The criteria will be the height of the building, construction material. At this stage your only design will be Part 6 in each dwelling.

Reply to fire alarm system in flats?? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back