Discuss [Fire Panel - MX4100 programming] Connecting panel to PC via USB. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello electricians,
I got myself an Mx4100 fire alarm panel about a year ago from a relative, I unistalled the panel, got yards upon yards of FP200, many sounders, call-points, smoke/head-heads, for which I all know how to wire on the panel more than fine, but, one issue arrised - the Level-3 commissioners' code. Efforts to crack the code failed, with many more hours of reserach completed, I found out I needed the Advanced360 programming applications to re-programme the panel. (I need to re-programme the panel to get the commisioners' code and from there remove all known devices to stop faults occuring in my loops.)

A few months ago, I chopped a USB down, into RX-White, TX-Green, Ground-Black and 5V-Red. I soldered ground, transmit and recive onto their relative 3-pins. In the pictures below, you can see that RX has become undone - I'm somewhat sure that this happened after I did my tests, but it may not have.

Once I had the software installed, USB soldered on, I connected it to my PC and used the Advanced360 programme "Config tool" & "Flash Programmer" to see if I can re-programme the system, and on the panel I did change the switch from "Run" to "Prog" and disabled the memory lock, when the panel gained power, it displayed and animation of the panel with a cable going to a PC with a connecting cable flashing with an "X" on it indicating that it could not connect. The software could not find it either.

Do I need to solder the 5V USB somewhere, change settings within the software, or something else? I need to panel re-programming via the software, I have the 3 applications, Config Tool, Flash Programmer and the Local Terminal, so if there is something I need to do using them, please give me a shout. The chopped USB cable is USB to USB, but I also have a USB to RS232 which I am able to chop.

Thanks for helping me with this, I think I have tried hard enough to explain this - if any of you need any more infomation I will be more than happy to throw it at you.

If you look at the soldered connection, how do I shove an RS232 cable into it? (You can't.)
Or do I need to chop one?

The only issue being that my machine does not have a RS232 serial port.

Also, that would mean paying for it, which is a somewhat last resort.
(But I must say, before a last resort way buying the same lead but for £150.)

The only issue being that my machine does not have a RS232 serial port.

Also, that would mean paying for it, which is a somewhat last resort.
(But I must say, before a last resort way buying the same lead but for £150.)

sorry cant help you other than buy the correct lead and a RS232 to USB adaptor if your machine doesn't have a RS232 port.

Alright, thank you.

Do you know if there are any settings within the Advanced360 software I need to change for it to reconize the panel from a certain port, (USB) on my PC?

I got the panel of a relative, who bought (x2) carehome(s) from an auction - I manually unistalled the panel from the building, no notes, papers or nothing. I tried general things, postcodes, addresses etc, contected the panel seller, (FixFire), and they have no access to their database for the building.

I have now re-soldered the copped USB onto my panel, and plugged the USB into the machine. The panel is in programming mode, but the panel shows and animation indecating that it is disconnected. Are there any more steps to settings it up? My software is listening on COM1 - Even though I am connecting via USB, more help with this too?

--BUMP - PLEASE RESPOND - BUMP--

First do not try using software on a 64 bit software like windows 8 or 10.
Best software is xp or windows 7 in 32bit mode. you will need a usb with ttl conversion built in, so you will need the buy the advanced lead. A straight usb lead will not work.
once the lead driver is installed, used windows control panel, and find com ports in device list, check what port the usb advanced lead is on. then in Advanced config software change com port to the same number.
DO NOT USE FLASH PROGRAM, if no hex file has been installed, you will wipe all operating software in the panel.

Further reserach,
My chopped lead is the same as a TTL Converter, ofcourse, but chopped down.

EDIT

My MEMLOCK jumper is currently to OPEN on the right-hand-side, does it need changing?

Reply to [Fire Panel - MX4100 programming] Connecting panel to PC via USB. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock