Discuss Fire rated telephone cable fp200 /cw1600 in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Roger

I currently do some work in a factory and serviced office complex.They have switched alarm company and the previous one used to monitor the fire alarm system.The new one will not connect it to the new monitered intruder alarm system because they have said the cable with is a 3 pair normal phone cable should be fire proof.Now I have searched on the internet and all I can come up with is a cable reference cw1600 (3 pair).I can get some 1mm FP200 and run it in that I guess.

Is this normal ? it does make sense though.Anyone familar with another type of cable or what is the recommended spec.What should I put in to make them happy.

Many thanks.

Any fireproof cable will do. It’s just a case of how you terminate it. For lift shafts I used to mount a 4X4 box to join the telephone cable to the lift cage flexible drop cables.

I thought that once the fire relay was normally closed it didn't need to be fire rated.It would failsafe open. I'm open to correction on this. As Tony said you don't need phone cable any fp cable will do

I currently do some work in a factory and serviced office complex.They have switched alarm company and the previous one used to monitor the fire alarm system.The new one will not connect it to the new monitered intruder alarm system because they have said the cable with is a 3 pair normal phone cable should be fire proof.Now I have searched on the internet and all I can come up with is a cable reference cw1600 (3 pair).I can get some 1mm FP200 and run it in that I guess.

Is this normal ? it does make sense though.Anyone familar with another type of cable or what is the recommended spec.What should I put in to make them happy.

Many thanks.

ive never seen any signalling in fireproof cable,the bt incomer to the block is standard telephone cable,so what the point in fp from the block,if its redcare/redcare gsm or dualcom if the line burns/gets cut it will signal on the radio side anyway.id ask for some explaination from alarm co as to why

Ok will do ,its actually a dualcom fire module.

To be honest one bloke was a right a--e,he had the hump because they tripped out a complete 24 way 3 phase board on site.He could not be bothered to isolate the fused spur to diconnect the old alarm feed.Inside the metal casing a wire was not insulated properly and touched the casing.They wanted to blame someone and that was me on a install some 10 years old.Only been working there a couple of years.Lasy bugger the spur was identified (mcb number )and the board was within 8 inches of the box.

Not a good ambassador for the alarm company

Ok will do ,its actually a dualcom fire module.

To be honest one bloke was a right a--e,he had the hump because they tripped out a complete 24 way 3 phase board on site.He could not be bothered to isolate the fused spur to diconnect the old alarm feed.Inside the metal casing a wire was not insulated properly and touched the casing.They wanted to blame someone and that was me on a install some 10 years old.Only been working there a couple of years.Lasy bugger the spur was identified (mcb number )and the board was within 8 inches of the box.

Not a good ambassador for the alarm company

it will be a standard dualcom for the intruder system (12v) normally in this case you run a fp from the fire panel fire o/p to the intruder dualcom,the bt line will be standard telecom cable,the radio aerial isnt fire proof either neither is the intruder panel ,so unless you run a fp back to the exchange (which isnt fire proof) i cant see the problem he's talking rubbish

rodger just thinking,are we talking the line to the dcom or the fire trip to the dcom,the trip from the fire panel should be fp,the n/c n/o is open to debate,i prefer n/c as if the intruder panel is hit by fire,the op/s will drop off sending all signals..

Just to clarify
The alarm panel is some 25 feet away and has a 3 pair telephone cable going to the alarm cupboard.They have said they want this in fp200.So from the fire alarm panel o/p this should be in fp200.It then gets terminated in a 4 x 4 box (as mentioned above) and we just run a small piece of telephone cable to the dualcom.Or just run the fp200 direct to the dualcom module.
Just want to get it straight.
Thank you

Just to clarify
The alarm panel is some 25 feet away and has a 3 pair telephone cable going to the alarm cupboard.They have said they want this in fp200.So from the fire alarm panel o/p this should be in fp200.It then gets terminated in a 4 x 4 box (as mentioned above) and we just run a small piece of telephone cable to the dualcom.Or just run the fp200 direct to the dualcom module.
Just want to get it straight.
Thank you

ah,id do it in fp then,like ive said i prefer n/c from from fire panel,so if fire burns intruder cables first,fuses pop all signals go,you might get the police and brigade at same time,bummer if done by mistake,install a 2 core fp from fire panel to intruder panel/dualcom unit,job sorted..

Reply to Fire rated telephone cable fp200 /cw1600 in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net