Discuss Fitting led lIght bar - Large Voltage Drop in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lexlee

-
Reaction score
Hi, posting for a friend,
Whilst fitting a LED Light bar ( believed to be 120w) to a Landrover Defender (1995) he tapped into the signal wire of a relay that supplies his roof spot lights and used that as his signal for the light bar relay..
He has used the horns earth for the relay and also connected the earth from the Light bar to the same point, as it's redundant (air horn fitted)
His problem is that the bar initially lit up on main beam, then when to try the flash ... Nothing. The relay for the light bar can be heard clicking on and off, and when the bar is disconnected has correct voltage at the light bar connection point. when the bar is reconnected the voltage drops to 3v at the same point. Thinking the Light bar was now defective he then tested it on another battery and it works fine..
As there's not a great deal there could it be
1 Problem with signal to light bar relay
2 the earth point for relay being same as ligh bar
3 the relay itself
The wire he has used is 17 rated at 17 amp
Hopefully I've explained well enough ... If anymore info is required only to glad to supply it . Friends can be a pain as I hate typing , any ideas on subject would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you Midwest, hopefully be able to give some guidance which I can pass on meaning I will stop being pestered

It could be volt drop on the cables used, which can be fixed by using a bigger cable. If the bake is rated at 17A I guess it's 1.5mm thin wall automotive cable.
When we fitted a pair of 50W spots to the back of our van we had to use 4mm to overcome the voltage drop in the cable.

Also you might well have corrosion in the earth path, whereabouts on the vehicle have you connected it to earth?

Hi,
Sean_ork... Have run a cable to Earth on battery.... No change
Connected earth back up then ran pos from light to battery it lights up. So I assume the earth is ok?
Davesparks ...... The cable (just used micrometer First time in years) is 3.5 mm and is rated at 17amp says he got it from H..fords. The earth for the relay he's has connected that to the original earth for the vehicle horn (air horn fitted drivers side) and also connected the earth from the light bar to the same point as the relay earth ( original vehicle horn)

tapped into the signal wire of a relay that supplies his roof spot lights and used that as his signal for the light bar relay.

So the relay is switched by the spotlights, but what supplies the positive 12v feed to the relay (ie, pin 87 or 30, doesn't matter which way round), which it then outputs to the LED bar?

The cable (just used micrometer First time in years) is 3.5 mm and is rated at 17amp says he got it from H..fords.

You mean the outside diameter of the wire including the insulation? The Halfords 17A wire works out at 1.85mm².

A direct feed from the betters and it works,,
There is an extra 6 holder fuse box on bulkhead under the bonnet supplied by battery as vehicle is ex utilities ( elec or water board or similar) the feed for spots and light bar are from there. The vehicle is outside would photos help, the wiring isn't pretty as just trying to get it to work then guess he'll idly it up.
I said before on initial operation the light bar worked it was only when the flash was used and now the spots work as before but no light bar.

Have you left the wiring as it is and linked out the wires at the relay which switch the bar.

Do you mean take the signal wire and connect it to the wire that supplies the bar , basically removing the relay from the equation?

Last edited:
No, there must be a feed for the switching part of the relay which then puts the feed out to the bar when the relay is activated. Link these together but disconnect the battery first.

Ok, I'll go and give it a try, so leave relay as is and link the input and output of relay.... Two mins

Hi,
Sean_ork... Have run a cable to Earth on battery.... No change
Connected earth back up then ran pos from light to battery it lights up. So I assume the earth is ok?
Davesparks ...... The cable (just used micrometer First time in years) is 3.5 mm and is rated at 17amp says he got it from H..fords. The earth for the relay he's has connected that to the original earth for the vehicle horn (air horn fitted drivers side) and also connected the earth from the light bar to the same point as the relay earth ( original vehicle horn)

3.5mm, is that the diameter? Conductor size is measured in square millimetres, I don't add the squared part as I'm not sure how on the iPad and everyone here understands how cable size is measured. I've just looked up automotive cables an 1sqmm cable is rated around 17A.

The earth point near the horn seems quite a distance from the usual places to install a light bar, could you not get a connection to the bodywork anywhere closer to the light bar?
The two possibilities I can see for this are either a high resistance connection or voltage drop, check that all connections are clean and tight and measure voltage at every point of connection with reference to the battery -ve to see where the voltage drops in the circuit.

Reply to Fitting led lIght bar - Large Voltage Drop in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock