Discuss Fitting new consumer board - no part p? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi all
before part P came in what did you do on a CU change we did the same as every body else 16th edition install all circuits turn it on if RCD holds the system was fine.
Only difference now is part P & don't get me wrong I am all for it as long at it policed properly which it's not. I still know people who do cash installs who do a couple of test mainly LE Ne M ohms & earth tests & F... All else. It still goes on.

Part P or no Part P, I wouldn't install a new CU without some pre install tests, nor miss out all the circuit testing, nor issueing an EIC.

Hi all
before part P came in what did you do on a CU change we did the same as every body else 16th edition install all circuits turn it on if RCD holds the system was fine.
Only difference now is part P & don't get me wrong I am all for it as long at it policed properly which it's not. I still know people who do cash installs who do a couple of test mainly LE Ne M ohms & earth tests & F... All else. It still goes on.

Absolute rubbish not every one else i can assure you , and they will be they ones who will eventually end up in court

Hi all
I can assure you that before part p was introduced the vast majority of electricians worth their salt did exactly the same as they're doing now.
Pre tests, CU change, full test, cert.
You're talking utter nonsense and if that's what you used to do then you should hang your head in shame

Hi all
I would agree with you 30 odd years ago, and I won't say why just yet (privatisation is the clue).

Take them out and stick a double pole switch in of course :biggrin:

Or even worse, I've seen the RCD installed but unresponsive, some nugget had actually cracked it in half along the seam of the casing and bodged a piece of 16mm cable to bridge the top and bottom. And TAPED it together.

crack on m8 every tom dick or harry is having a go anyway ,Part **** is a joke.
we,ve all see the thousands of prosecutions for failing to notify building control.
every year i wonder why i bother paying for this shambles

I'm interested to know what "pre-checks" you undertake (rather than a full test), prior to replacing the board - Ze, Polarity, IR each circuit, check main bonding etc?

In addition to above I like to whip the upstairs/downstairs passage landing light switches off for a quick look to see if I am likely to face a borrowed N situation, plus to see if there are CPCs present on the lighting, a quick visual as you can tell early doors if the wiring has been hacked about/bodged DIYed etc. plus a quick clamp of the tails with my earth leakage clamp meter to see if I am likely to face RCD tripping problems, oh and I don't usually IR test every circuit at this stage usually just a quick global L+N to E.

I usually spend no more than say a half hour doing this at the quoting stage, this has paid off every time and being well worth the time and effort spent, this tells me if it is going to be fairly straight forward or a complete ball ache of a job, and I can quote accordingly ;), I never "formally" record anything at this stage just a few notes for myself, and never give the client any of the results at this point either.

I learnt the hard way lol, only the once though! :)

Suitable tests to give you an indication that you don't have any pre-existing faults or a shared neutral situation between up and down stairs lighting circuits. Failure to do pre-testing can lead to a whole lot of problems on a CU change with RCD's tripping etc.

And typically just as you were thinking of or looking forward to going home too... lol!!

Agreed. I just wondered what others do as I do a quick I&T before I commence the work, but I know others "gamble" on it being all okay.

Just out of interest what is meant by "global L + N to Earth"? Are you merely meaning you only do L + N to E 250v IR rather than also doing L to N on each circuit?

Agreed. I just wondered what others do as I do a quick I&T before I commence the work, but I know others "gamble" on it being all okay.

Just out of interest what is meant by "global L + N to Earth"? Are you merely meaning you only do L + N to E 250v IR rather than also doing L to N on each circuit?

Installation isolated, link L+N linked at the dead side of main switch or where ever convenient, all fuses present or MCBs on and test to E, 250V soft test first if ok then 500V, thus testing the whole lot in one, this will show anything major up, I switch all of the lights on first.
Sometimes I link L to N with my test plug (rest as above) plugged into a S/O and do it that way, depends on whatever is easier.

Sometimes I will do more or less tests depending on what I find, no need to start stripping the whole lot down or go on major fault finding exercises at this stage, I forgot to add above that I also do a quick Zs test at a random socket both up and down (if separate :) ).

This combined with a visual and you can usually tell pretty quickly if you are going to have major problems or not.

Suitable tests to give you an indication that you don't have any pre-existing faults or a shared neutral situation between up and down stairs lighting circuits. Failure to do pre-testing can lead to a whole lot of problems on a CU change with RCD's tripping etc.

And typically just as you were thinking of or looking forward to going home too... lol!!

There speaks the voice of (bitter) experience!! :)

here is a postcard from your signature.

sent to my ipad via RPG.

download (1).jpg

crack on m8 every tom dick or harry is having a go anyway ,Part **** is a joke.
we,ve all see the thousands of prosecutions for failing to notify building control.
every year i wonder why i bother paying for this shambles
Calm down, it is only a rugby match :biggrin:

Or even worse, I've seen the RCD installed but unresponsive, some nugget had actually cracked it in half along the seam of the casing and bodged a piece of 16mm cable to bridge the top and bottom. And TAPED it together.
At least they made an effort. I've seen a few times an RCD in the board just bypassed because 'they' didn't know what to do!

Reply to Fitting new consumer board - no part p? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net