Discuss Five days without solar power in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

roamwood

Five days without solar but guess I haven’t missed too much yet, thanks to the grotty weather.

I’ve had my solar installation since June 2011, SMA SB4000TL inverter and 16 sanyo HIT panels, total 3.67 kWp. We have been really pleased with the installation and the installer, recommending them many times. Last week we would have hit 10000kWh but the system stopped generating just 6kWh short! I have emailed the supplier to seek his advice of what to do but he hasn’t responded yet. The system is under guarantee for 5 years so perhaps he sees my email as a potential claim but I just want to get back up and running. I’m hoping some of the experts here will be able to guide me with what I suspect is a wiring issue rather than equipment failure.

The SB4000TL was selected as we have a shading issue first thing and last thing from a central chimney stack on our south roof slope. It’s clearly done its job as switching on the MPPT (which I did after a month when I discovered it was off) transformed our output readings from being crippled by the shading to hardly noticing. We hit our 3 year output “prediction” 7 months early, and the last reading I submitted to Scottish Power was initially refused by their system as being beyond what they would reasonably expect! That’s the good bit.

Not so good is the occasional trip outs we have been experiencing, perhaps every 2-6 months on average. We are on a TT system and I read on here that while permissible, the SB4000TL isn’t really ideal for such setups. I’m guessing this is tied up with the fact that this inverter is transformerless and therefore can trip the 30mA RCD protection I have covering all circuits. When the solar installers electrician first connected us up (he used a spare 16A MCB in our fairly old (guessing 20 years) consumer unit, it immediately tripped the 30mA RCD that feeds the CU from the meter. On the third attempt it latched and stayed that way, but he warned that it may cause issues in the future, but to see how we go.

When the RCD does trip it tends to be on damp or foggy days just as the sun breaks through. Normally after one or two attempts it latches. Looking back it has lasted up to 10 months between "trips". Mostly it isn't a huge problem, but the worst time was when we were on holiday in the summer and came back to a thawed out freezer. I’ve been daft leaving it. Last week after a foggy morning when it was generating it switched off about midday, just as the sun came out, and I haven’t been able to reconnect it since (apart from overnight). As soon as the panels start generating it trips the RCD. I’m hoping this is just a continuation of the old problem and not a new fault that might require the inverter to be replaced. If so perhaps my wiring could be reconfigured to include just 100mA Type B RCD protection feeding the consumer unit, and then replace all the MCB’s except the one to the solar with 30mA RCBO’s if there is space, or perhaps replace the whole CU and separate 30mA RCD with one high integrity board, suitably configured if not. I do have buried cables on my domestic circuits but the solar feed is just surface or within the floor void.

Can anyone spot any flaws in what I think may be required? If not and my original solar installer won’t help me, I could at least get that work put in hand by an electrician and see if sorts things. Is there any test that I could do to help diagnose whether anything else might be causing the problem (such as disconnecting each string in turn?) or get an electrician to do (such as checking the efficiency of the earth, or measuring the leakage current from the inverter?) Has anyone seen a SB4000TL inverter fail in a way that could cause this, or do people think it is most likely just the 30mA RCD being incompatible?

I guess what I’m really asking is what I should do next? I would be very grateful for any advice

Many Thanks, Mike

I think you are correct in your assessment that the 4000TL could be problematic on a TT system.

I would recommend a separate CU with RCD protection purely for the PV system. You may get away with a 30mA but you may need to upgrade to a 100mA. Fairly straightforward and I would say this was a warranty issue for the original installer.

Agreed, put it on a completely separate rcd of at least 100 mA in its own mini-CU. Your original installer was not wise doing what he did. The installation instructions for the inverter say the rcd should be at least 100 mA and although people mainly get away with 30 mA there is no point you trying to do so unless it has to be 30 mA because the pv circuit cable is buried in a wall.

It is a very simple and quick job for an electrician who understands the issue.

Agreed, put it on a completely separate rcd of at least 100 mA in its own mini-CU. Your original installer was not wise doing what he did. The installation instructions for the inverter say the rcd should be at least 100 mA and although people mainly get away with 30 mA there is no point you trying to do so unless it has to be 30 mA because the pv circuit cable is buried in a wall.

It is a very simple and quick job for an electrician who understands the issue.
and if it doesn't have to be 30mA due to being buried in the wall, then there are almost no circumstances when it would need an RCD at all.

so first step is to work out if it actually needs an RCD at all.

basically solar should not be connected to a shared RCD in this way largely because of this nuisance tripping issue, as you get maybe 10-15mA of earth leakage current from the inverter, so it doesn't take much leakage current from other devices in teh house for the RCD to then trip.

We'd generally install to either a separate mini consumer unit, or to a none shared RCD way in a board - modern boards known as high integrity boards with a coupple of non-RCD protected ways, or boards designed for RCBOs.

Simple enough to fix, and your installer should really do this under warranty IMO.

Just to add, if you get another electrician to change this make sure that they have experiance with PV, if I understand your post correctly as Gavin has said your PV may not even need to be RCD protected.

It's TT Gavin
I was assuming it would already have a 100mA RCD as a main switch to protect the whole lot, which admittedly might have been an error. If this isn't the case, then personally I'd probably put the 100mA RCD inline to protect the entire system inc solar PV feed rather than leaving it without.

tbh I was under the impression that TT systems were required to have a 100mA main switch regardless of the rest of the installation, but the OSG seems to indicate this isn't actually the case.

For TT every circuit must be rcd protected.

The 100 mA in people's minds is because that was the example in previous editions of the OSG. But any value that meets the conditions in 411.5 is ok.

Sensible I think in this circumstance to keep the PV installation completely separate from the house installation.

wylex make them & am sure MK do aswell. TT system everything should be 30ma anyway so put inverter on its own 30ma time delay unit that should give it 30seconds from start up until rcd will operate at normal conditions.
also time delay rcd will have an S on it showing it to be delayed.

used to fit 100ma time delay on old 16th edition for TT system because sometimes 30ma trip would go & take out 100ma at same time causing no power in home. so fitting time delay as main switch solved the isssue.

TT does NOT need to be on 30mA rcd. The maximum value depends on Zs.

And MK do not make 30mA time delayed as far as I am aware. Have you got a part number?

Last edited:
wylex make them & am sure MK do aswell. TT system everything should be 30ma anyway so put inverter on its own 30ma time delay unit that should give it 30seconds from start up until rcd will operate at normal conditions.
also time delay rcd will have an S on it showing it to be delayed.
TT does not necessarily need 30mA, only if cables are concealed in a wall, and a 30mA time delayed RCD (if available) does not meet the disconnection criteria in such a case.

sorry did not say it had to be for TT, it was a sugestion that would probably allow the inverter to start up without causing trip but not 100% sure.

mk 16a 5716S
mk 25a 5716S
mk 63a 5760S
S being the important bit as this gives time delay.

[FONT=N1395~4b][FONT=N1395~4b]
100mA RCDs may, in some circumstances, provide protection against electrocution in an accidentalshock hazard situation. H owever, it is important to note that there is a likelihood that the earth faultcurrent may be below the sensitivity of the RCD. This becomes increasingly likely if additional resistances​
to that of the human body are in the current path.

[FONT=N1394~87][FONT=N1394~87]
5. Time Delayed RCDs​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT][FONT=N1396~8d][FONT=N1396~8d]S [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=N1394~87][FONT=N1394~87]Type S (or selective)
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=N1395~8a][FONT=N1395~8a]
When two or more Sentry RCDs are installed in series with one another, measures must be taken toensure that they discriminate properly. In event of an earth fault, only the RCD immediately upstreamfrom the fault should operate.RCDs do not discriminate on rated tripping current alone, i.e. a 100mA rated RCD situated upstreamfrom a 30mA rated RCD, will not offer inherent discrimination.In order to ensure that discrimination is achieved, a Sentry Time Delayed RCD should be used. The inbuilttime delay period ensures that the downstream RCD opens the circuit before the upstream RCDstarts to operate.The maximum tripping time of a Sentry Time Delayed RCD is 500ms. Typical applications are:i) as main incomers on TT systems where all sockets are already protected by a 30mA instantaneous RCD,but where unwanted tripping may become a problem.ii) as the main incomer of split load consumer unit arrangement where all circuits are protected by a10 or 30mA instantaneous RCD or otherwise comply with the direct and indirect contact protectionrequirements of the Wiring Regulations.​
The Sentry Time Delay RCDs are clearly identified with the internationally agreed representative symbol
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=N1396~8d][FONT=N1396~8d]S [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=N1395~8a][FONT=N1395~8a].
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Why not ask about converting the TT to TNCS with your DNO.

National Grid

The solar AC wiring is unlikely to be buried in the wall if it's a recent add on and no RCD is required for surface or protected wiring. (Conduit, Armourflex, SWA, trunking etc)

Its cheap to do and with the solar system not RCD protected it cannot trip or cause nuisance tripping.

Reply to Five days without solar power in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net