Discuss Flat above shop, CU in shop PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

Had a look at a possible PIR on a flat above a shop.... unfortunately the CU and meter etc for the flat is in a shop, and when the shop is closed at night, there is no way to get to the CU from the flat, and no way to isolate the installation. What would this be on a PIR? I'm thinking it's a code 1 but not sure. Also, if I was going to rectify this, could you just run tails up to an isolator in the flat, then back down the the CU, or would you have to move the whole CU? Any help will be appreciated!

I would say a code 2 for 'adequacy of access to switchgear and other equipment' .

Depending on the DNO requirements and the length of run (often above 3 Metres), you'll have to incorporate overcurrent protection to the 'tails'.

If the owner of the flat and shop is the same person then I would see no reason to code it at all. If the owner holds the keys then he/she has access.

I would however be interested to hear the views of others on this topic.

PS I'm pretty sure 3m is the maximum length for tails. If you wanted to supply the flay separately maybe split concentric would be the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.... You can go over 3M for tails as long as you put in a switch fuse (normally), but it's all down to DNO requirements.

The owner is the same for the flat and the shop, but the flat is let to a tenant who doesn't have access to the shop, thats where it's getting tricky for me.

I'd Code it as above. If the tenant can't access it for isolation it's not acceptable. My preference would be to move the CU, otherwise you won't be able to reset devices should you need to and as such it is still not accessible.

This guy ain't going to be happy. He's been ripped t' f' off by a spark who 'is qualified but can't do certificates' whi I have already shouted at down the phone (leaving live cables hanging loose out of a unattached lightswitch, using arth core for strapper etc.) and I can't see me being able to move this consumer unit into the flat for less than about 500, and that's charging my 'poor sod who's been ripped off' rate...... let alone all the inevitable faults I'm going to find. Poor guy.

I would code it as a 2, because access cant be gained when the shop is closed. Would also suggest that the C.U us relocated.

Ian

Reply to Flat above shop, CU in shop PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net