Discuss Flat Heater Temperature Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimjim2991

Hi,

I've posted threads related to this issue quite a few times but never got to the bottom of it, largely because of my own ignorance, but I feel like this thread might be the one!

So, I have a version of this heater: https://www.hennlich.bg/uploads/en_galmatherm.pdf

It's 1kW.

I'm putting it in a plastic container to heat up 5L of water.

It doesn't have a thermostat but I'd like to be able to control the temperature between room temperature and 80C.

My questions:
1. What do I need to achieve this?
2. Where can I find? Links?
3. Who can I ask to install?
4. How will they install?

Why not just buy a 5ltr slow cooker?
Try Argos. Less than 20 notes.

What is it your cooking? Sounds a bit dodgy to me. I bet GCHQ are monitoring this.

Haha, I know it REALLY does. It's actually something for work... just hoped somebody might be able to help. A slow cooker is not going to work. Thanks for the suggestion though! The simple ideas are sometimes the best, but not on this occasion lol

Hi,

I've posted threads related to this issue quite a few times but never got to the bottom of it, largely because of my own ignorance, but I feel like this thread might be the one!

So, I have a version of this heater: https://www.hennlich.bg/uploads/en_galmatherm.pdf

It's 1kW.

I'm putting it in a plastic container to heat up 5L of water.

It doesn't have a thermostat but I'd like to be able to control the temperature between room temperature and 80C.

My questions:
1. What do I need to achieve this?
2. Where can I find? Links?
3. Who can I ask to install?
4. How will they install?
At a rough guess contacting the heater manufacturer would be my first step.

At a rough guess contacting the heater manufacturer would be my first step.

I actually did that, and came here for a second opinion.

They told me I'd need:

1. TF temperature probe 300mm long in PTFE - £101
2. MTR 1000 electronic temperature controller - £175

I just thought that was a bit expensive and wondered if there was a more cost-effective solution..

I actually did that, and came here for a second opinion.

They told me I'd need:

1. TF temperature probe 300mm long in PTFE - £101
2. MTR 1000 electronic temperature controller - £175

I just thought that was a bit expensive and wondered if there was a more cost-effective solution..
Could have told us that earlier jimjim2991

The last time an OP was asked to do that, it turned out they were making a 'machine for the bedroom'!:frowning:
Those prices would be the manufacturers net price they may be able to put you in touch with a distributor who could offer a bit of discount.

why not strap a tank stat to the container.

I wondered about that solution. But he says it's a plastic container. The coefficient of the thermocouple will have been designed to contact a copper tank. So unless he's prepared to set it very low and then use trial and error with another thermometer in the liquid, I don't think it would work.

Reply to Flat Heater Temperature Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net