Discuss flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

vmgbarra

can I wire a house in flexible conduit and singles ?, as done in other parts of Europe, there does not seem to be any specific info in BS7671 or part P,

Let me explain further
I have 20 years experience uk trained ,i have done commercial and domestic but I have also pent a few years working in Europe and found that using a flexible conduit system gives you the abiliy to add extra circuts or switching without having to rip up floors, I hate twin and earth its nasty out of date and too rigid, especially when trying to screw back sockes

can anyone offer me any recomendations etc

Steel conduit is a world apart from the cheap nd nasty flexible conduit that seems to be popular at the moment.

I guess if you used a good strong flexible conduit you could do it, but I don't really see the advantage?

If you're talking about that god awful ribbed flexible conduit, then i wish you luck trying to pull additional cables in at a future date. The walls of that stuff just collapses, especially at the any bends!! BTW, you don't have to use T&E, you can use the same type of round building cable they use in Europe, better actually as the CPC will be the same size as the phase conductors.

Unless it's steel conduit, it would have to be the double insulated singles like used on lighting in many homes. As I'm sure cables have to be double insulated unless protected by steel conduit. But probably wrong lol

Unless it's steel conduit, it would have to be the double insulated singles like used on lighting in many homes. As I'm sure cables have to be double insulated unless protected by steel conduit. But probably wrong lol

Consider yourself very ''Wrong'' then!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
if the conduit is fixed regularly and has sufficient capacity pulling a extra circuit is not a problem, could t+e be used because of mice?,
Is there a organisation I cold ask , niceic ,IEE , that can say yes or n bloody way ?

if the conduit is fixed regularly and has sufficient capacity pulling a extra circuit is not a problem, could t+e be used because of mice?,
Is there a organisation I cold ask , niceic ,IEE , that can say yes or n bloody way ?

Organisations can advise you on what satisfies the regs. Whether it's a good idea or not is another matter, and I personally would not fancy pulling extra circuits down buried flexible conduit. Any reason you are opposed to rigid conduit ?

Why not just use plastic conduit? or the oval stuff is good. Easy to pull cables thou and simple to fit.

Why would you want to? Even if it was done in conduit, you would have alot of fun trying to pull cables though without getting to service joints at bends.

I understand t+e is cheap by comparison and its quick to install, but its nasty and the conductors are too rigid and end up overbent in the back of the socket

Reply to flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock