Discuss Fluke 62 Infrared Thermometer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mark_Burgess

As mentioned on the forum before by Lenny, this is a cracking little thermometer.

When ever I get called out to a fault or conducting and EICR, this little one does a quick scan over the MCB's and more than often or not gives me the heads up to a cause or potential fault.

Recently I got called out to a lighting circuit in a factory had tripped, it took me 20mins to get there, when I opened the twin Fluorescent diffuser I scanned the metal plate the ballasts are on and it came up as 95 deg Celsius!! That was 20mins after the power had tripped.

Get one.......... You know you want to!!!!!!

I can understand and have used thermal imaging to help solve faults before.

I can't see this being that useful, you could have known the ballasts were hot by holding your hand near the fitting.

How does it help finding faults scanning over mcbs?

Just to confirm this is what your talking about:

Fluke 62 Infrared Thermometer {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I can understand and have used thermal imaging to help solve faults before.

I can't see this being that useful, you could have known the ballasts were hot by holding your hand near the fitting.
I wanted to highlight to the inexperienced just how hot a ballast could be even 20 mins later, not every one knows the temperatures they reach.

How does it help finding faults scanning over mcbs?
Heavily loaded circuits reaching just over the rating of the MCB heats them up, but you would know that, no everyone can afford a thermal imaging device.

Just to confirm this is what your talking about:
Correct.
Fluke 62 Infrared Thermometer {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I could have highlighted loads of other uses, one in particular is to aim at the floor and watch the dog chase it.
I thought I would give a quick review of a cheap IR thermometer for those that dont have a lot money.
This part of the forum is to give a first hand review of tooling and equipment. I didn't realise I'd have to justify my comments!
Maybe if you have a problem with these why dont you contact the manufacturers and speak to them about it?

i've got the ethos unit. very useful piece of kit. as you said, can find latent faults like MCBs or cables overheasting,

We picked up a faulty MCB on a inspection we were doing only the other day using one.

Also good if you want to balance your rads!

have a look on the maplin website they do them, my other half has one, it was funny when he got it, he was going run the house taking temps thinking he wasn't being watched, then we caught him in the fridge!

there also good for taking kids temps when ill and wont keep still,lol!

the inspection cameras are pretty good to!

i can't understand maplin's pricing policy at all. they do that for reasonable price, yet want £34.99 for a 2.0AH alarm battery that's £12 anywhere else, and £2.95 for an aerial coax plug!!!

i can't understand maplin's pricing policy at all. they do that for reasonable price, yet want £34.99 for a 2.0AH alarm battery that's £12 anywhere else, and £2.95 for an aerial coax plug!!!

true, they did me for some 1/1.6a fuse's on sat afternoon - but what can you do when everywhere else is closed...

Sorry I hadn't commented to have a 'go'

I was genuinely interested if there were uses I couldn't think of. I've never used one of these before.

Typing on a forum doesn't always, as in this case put the tone your trying to convey over.

cpc do a cheaper one about £30 I use it at work occasionally,one of them tools you dont need often but when you do by god they,re handy.

Very useful tool. I used one of these to trace a fault at a hotel recently.

The main incoming fuse on one of the phases had been replaced twice by the DNO and the hotel asked us to check if this phase was overloaded.

The loading on all three phases seemed balanced but I noticed that the main cut out was very hot on the offending phase.

Got out the thermometer and found that the temperature was much higher on the incoming side of the fuse.

Called out Central Networks and they found that the connection on the incoming side of their fuseholder was faulty and that the overheating was causing the fuse to fail prematurely.

The thermometer saved the hotel from any more costly call outs to replace the fuse and they were well impressed by our service.

I've got the Ryobi version, probably a bit of an expensive toy for me but what it would be very handy for is checking connection temperature in the likes of a busbar chamber.

Reply to Fluke 62 Infrared Thermometer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock