Discuss Focus 1.8 tdci spluttering in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barry White

My Trusty focus started to misfire and splutter as I was overtaking (uphill on a motorway) ended up dropping back and engine run as normal.
problem got gradually worse suspected a burst pipe or seized turbo motor, a quick check said nothing amiss. Ended up driving like a sunday school teacher to get home from work.Hills were a real pain.
Had all sorts going on in my head (must have been dreaming about it as was on nights) accelerator pot,cam sensor,air temp sensor,turbo vane motor,MAF.Modern diesels are complicated! Awoke with a plan to change fuel filter first.
Runs like a dream again must have had some crappy diesel.
Simple things first. All filters were changed in May 2016 too

Like you say, even diesel engines which used to be simple are very complicated nowadays. Glad it was something as simple as the filter. Usually if it's a turbo you'll hear at least some noise and often you'll get an oil light indication.

Nothing surprises me with todays engines. I do miss the days though where you could drop your engine out on Friday afternoon and overhaul it and have it running again by Monday morning ready for work.

My Trusty focus started to misfire and splutter as I was overtaking (uphill on a motorway) ended up dropping back and engine run as normal.
problem got gradually worse suspected a burst pipe or seized turbo motor, a quick check said nothing amiss. Ended up driving like a sunday school teacher to get home from work.Hills were a real pain.
Had all sorts going on in my head (must have been dreaming about it as was on nights) accelerator pot,cam sensor,air temp sensor,turbo vane motor,MAF.Modern diesels are complicated! Awoke with a plan to change fuel filter first.
Runs like a dream again must have had some crappy diesel.
Simple things first. All filters were changed in May 2016 too
Hi bud,if that filter was knacked after 6 months,hideous mileage aside,i would have expected debris and/or water in the old filter. If not,it may be coincidental. Worth checking the EGR circuit/valve,as these can cause intermittent or consistent power loss,smoking and apparent mis-firing.
A contaminant,like water,or an air ingress,would cause a hiccup,a blockage is more likely to give a gradual or an immediate power loss.

The filter was black 7000miles. Drained diesel from the bowl into a pint glass it was clear with 2 very small globules of water.
It did start gradually but then came rather quick. Been on a good run today and its fine. Not had an EGR problem on this focus yet (blanked my last one off) But expect this one will throw up a code if I do.
ECU another EU regulation that caused bother.

Reply to Focus 1.8 tdci spluttering in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock