Discuss Football flood lights in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
I had a call today about wiring up football floodlighting on 6 metal pilon type fixtures at a small local pitch, just wondering if any1 has any experience with this type of installation. Questions im asking myself before going for a look are about loading of the lights on each pilon, cable run length, csa, would the pilon need main bonding?
Any input appreachiated.

go for LED floods. this will allow for smaller cable sizes as regards load and volt drop. depending on the earthing system, the fact that each light is earthed and reliably bolted to each pylon should negate the need for any extra bonding.

I was looking at some 400w LEDs in CEF the other day. They were monsters!

Thanks for replies. I am wondering if metal halite would be better than led for distance lighting, i will prob get a lighting comp/rep on board but like to prep before going on site rather than stuttering haha. I would imagine itll be a resopnably sized swa ran up to a high level point aggainst vandalism so all lights could connect to a suitable box from there it would be easy enough to cross bond to the frame work anyhow! More info will be given following my visit.

I know nowt about this but I doubt it is a case of sticking some lights on a pole, there is the issue of shadow casting for starters.

it's a football pitch, youdon't want to get them prima donnas seeing the ball. they might kick it instaed of the opponents.

Look at something that has an asymmetric reflector as it will provide an increased beam angle and will also be low glare. You want something that has a flat glass front as not to pollute the area outside of the pitch. They should ideally be mounted at a height of between 12 and 20 meters to achieve a minimum angle above the pitch centre of 25 degrees. I would have a look at Thorn Troika but are a bit pricey. The design could be done on RELUX with the Thorn products.

Leesparkykent has put some good points above,if you get it designed by lighting manufacturer etc ask for several options eg LED,metal halide and cost of running them (I think the cost of LED is only worth it if on for long periods) the type of lamp posts should be also taken in consideration eg colapsable to change lamps etc.

Lighting manufacturer to design this for sure. But! ask for a specification from the customer first. If the pitches are to be used for games that are part of affiliated leagues, they may have their own stipulations regarding type of light and lux levels over the field of play. If you are using LED, make sure this will be acceptable.

Make sure the column lowering system is compatible with the the type of install and easily accessed in the future, possibly by the end user if they are to maintain the system themselves.

A local feeder pillar on a suitably sized distribution circuit from the nearest building can help with potential volt drop and Zs issues.

There may also be a great deal of control required depending on the levels natural daylight.

Reply to Football flood lights in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock