Discuss FP Cable Is Not Always Suitable in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

tazz

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of confusion, that FP cable is the be all, and end all of fire resistant cable. And is only suitable for fire alarms. So let me put some points across.
FP is often used for fire alarms, emergency lighting, PA systems, Disabled refuge, control switching, sprinkler control, UPS or in any installation upto 300v, where a designer may have reason to install.
FP comes in singes FP100, 2, 3, 4 or multi core FP200.....Has two versions Standard & Enhanced.
Although FP is quick and easy to install, it has limitations, and these limitations are crucial in any design.
Due to its making, FP200 has no internal seal. A can easily pass gas and water, by compilary down its internal structure.
So chemical plants, server rooms or areas of integrity, need to be thought out.
Pyro/Micc after being around for decades, is still the ideal way to over come design problems, such a integrity...and unlike FP, it is actual classed and enhanced cable. The fire time restraints to failure are also different between FP & pyro...FP has a fire rating of 20-30 minutes, where Pyro has outlasted some intense fires.
So as with any cable, it has its places and its usage, but only with taught and design.
This video you may find interesting, Worth watching the testing procedures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZAYFSwInk

Do you work for Pyrotenax for nay reason?, actually I think Pyro is great did loads when I was an apprentice in boiler houses, fuel stations it was a work of art if installed correctly and never ages, LSO I remember installing Pyro for bell circuits on fire alarms with twin and earth being used for all call points which is never done these days, I think people fell out of love with pyro as the copper prices ran sky high and also you had to buy glands and opts by the 10 pack making it expensive for a single job.
We used to do a lot of work for Woolworths It was their specified cable to be always used for shop work, I think National Trust still specify it or all work within grade 2 listed building and bare covered too.As pyro has now ben taken out the AM2 exam shortly there will be no one who is skilled enough to do it now

Have had a few questions about FP and Micc, so thought a quick post would help, with the video, showing testing.....As you pointed out, certain projects, will request micc instead of FP. for reasons of gas & water i stated earlier. Its a shame to take this skill out of the AM2, as until a better cable is developed, micc will be chosen in certain builds....but as i stated , each cable has its use in different areas.

I would like to thing so, as it is a handy skill to learn....but im not upto date on what courses teach Pyro/micc

Have had a few questions about FP and Micc, so thought a quick post would help, with the video, showing testing.....As you pointed out, certain projects, will request micc instead of FP. for reasons of gas & water i stated earlier. Its a shame to take this skill out of the AM2, as until a better cable is developed, micc will be chosen in certain builds....but as i stated , each cable has its use in different areas.

ive got a set of joistrippers and a size F potting tool.

any chance you guys have a couple meters of micc and some pots for it lying around? I would like to get some to have a go before I use it at work

any chance you guys have a couple meters of micc and some pots for it lying around? I would like to get some to have a go before I use it at work
I have 50 mtrs or maybe even 60 mtrs of 2L1.5 2 core with orange sheath for sale if you want some.

I might be able to get a few short scrap ends mate, I'll get back to you later in the week

Seems to be a lot of confusion, that FP cable is the be all, and end all of fire resistant cable. And is only suitable for fire alarms. So let me put some points across.
FP is often used for fire alarms, emergency lighting, PA systems, Disabled refuge, control switching, sprinkler control, UPS or in any installation upto 300v, where a designer may have reason to install.
FP comes in singes FP100, 2, 3, 4 or multi core FP200.....Has two versions Standard & Enhanced.
Although FP is quick and easy to install, it has limitations, and these limitations are crucial in any design.
Due to its making, FP200 has no internal seal. A can easily pass gas and water, by compilary down its internal structure.
So chemical plants, server rooms or areas of integrity, need to be thought out.
Pyro/Micc after being around for decades, is still the ideal way to over come design problems, such a integrity...and unlike FP, it is actual classed and enhanced cable. The fire time restraints to failure are also different between FP & pyro...FP has a fire rating of 20-30 minutes, where Pyro has outlasted some intense fires.
So as with any cable, it has its places and its usage, but only with taught and design.
This video you may find interesting, Worth watching the testing procedures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZAYFSwInk

Gonna nickname our lass FP200 from now on ;)

what would this tool be called from a wholesaler? Its size f (didn't realise the size was 16mm pots)

im after a 20mm crimping pliers but cant find there name I know there made by bicc pyrotenax though

a2udepa9.jpg

what would this tool be called from a wholesaler? Its size f (didn't realise the size was 16mm pots)

im after a 20mm crimping pliers but cant find there name I know there made by bicc pyrotenax though

a2udepa9.jpg

When I sort out your pyro today I will see if I have a pot crimper I can put in the box, can't promise but it may happen :willy_nilly:

I've only made an end of twice. Once at college and once in my AM2.

If I was asked to make one off tomorrow I'd probably cock it up.

Reply to FP Cable Is Not Always Suitable in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net