Discuss FP Cable Is Not Always Suitable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

when you screw the pot on you only want the bare cable sheath to just be level with the top of the threads inside the pot, I always pull the cores with a pair of pliers before adding compound and blow out the powder so the pot is clean and dust free. When you get a crimper which hopefully will be early next week you need to ensure the gland slides back away from the pot so you can really get arount the whole pot to crimp it up tight, apart from a couple of basic mistakes your attempt looks good, it is straight and the cores look in good condition, practice makes perfect :rockon:

when you screw the pot on you only want the bare cable sheath to just be level with the top of the threads inside the pot, I always pull the cores with a pair of pliers before adding compound and blow out the powder so the pot is clean and dust free. When you get a crimper which hopefully will be early next week you need to ensure the gland slides back away from the pot so you can really get arount the whole pot to crimp it up tight, apart from a couple of basic mistakes your attempt looks good, it is straight and the cores look in good condition, practice makes perfect :rockon:

attempt 2 so far

FP Cable Is Not Always Suitable {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

ill leave the compound off till I get a potting tool.

im going to take into work in the morning then ill ir it. (im at home and dont have an ir tester)

Looks good from here, cable sheath just half a gnats whisker inside the pot and the earth tail in the right position relative to the cores.

Grab the end of the cores with a pair of pliers and give them a good hard tug to straighten then out, it'll make sliding the seal on a tad easier.

Looks good from here, cable sheath just half a gnats whisker inside the pot and the earth tail in the right position relative to the cores.

Grab the end of the cores with a pair of pliers and give them a good hard tug to straighten then out, it'll make sliding the seal on a tad easier.

didnt realise it was so ****ed

afterall ****ed is the new straight, feel free to call me neville XD

Not bad for a first attempt, I've seen a lot worse. Did you IR it?

You probably saw one of my first attempts Trev!! Got a right ear-bashing for it... no shroud, pot not straight and screwed on to far...

btw - I've a spare one of these if MDJ can't set you up...

Edit - didn't realize the pic was that big, i'ts only for 20mm pots :)

Attachments

• FP Cable Is Not Always Suitable micc111 - EletriciansForums.net
    micc111.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 50
As an apprentice I was given scrap ends to make off, After a while and some intense inspections of my efforts I was allowed to use potting compound. The first end I made off that actually went into service made me a very proud puppy spark.
Afaik it's still there to this day.

As an apprentice I was given scrap ends to make off, After a while and some intense inspections of my efforts I was allowed to use potting compound. The first end I made off that actually went into service made me a very proud puppy spark.
Afaik it's still there to this day.

your gran kids might get the chance to rip it out while complaining its better than what they are replacing it with you never know

Well so far we're one from three and it looks like it's staying that way. Grandson will not be a spark if I've got anything to do with it.

No point in testing until you have potted the gland......this will be another learning curve, testing the insulation with one reading..then testing 24 hours later, with another reading. Full marks, for taking the time to practice and post your results. In the next few years, when industrial projects need installing and renewing...The quick course guys will be left to their house bashing, whilst others will be back in the thick of it.

A decent effort.
when doing it for real remember and put the compound in from one side only of the pot.
keep the compound clean and free from bits of swarf etc.
i wouldn't blow in the pot as mdj suggests I would give it a tap and make sure it's clean myself
like all black arts practice is the key

Blowing in the pot is potentially bad news. You could have bits of swarf in there which could blow up into your eyes.
Tappy tappy is much better.

Blowing in the pot is potentially bad news. You could have bits of swarf in there which could blow up into your eyes.
Tappy tappy is much better.

to be honest I didnt blow into it, I wiped conductors first to get rid of most of it then tap.

I didnt touch compound either, I used the wrapper and overfilled it from one side to stop the formation of any air pockets

Beware of a tiny thread of brass/copper swarf which can sometimes appear in the pot as you screw it onto the cable.

Also pop the megger on it before you put the compound in, and then just before you crimp it, and then after you crimp it. this was you have a chance to correct things before you crimp it and get to the point of no return.

The reason I was taught not to blow in a pot is because the moisture from your breath can dampen the mineral - of which would be sealed in with the compound.

Shanky...are you using a cutting compound or oil when cutting....if you find this messy, old trick from an old sod...is use a candle, just as good, less mess and saves you joist blade

Reply to FP Cable Is Not Always Suitable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock