Discuss Freedom of speech - Should it be absolute or restricted in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Should we be allowed to say anything we want or should certain speech be restricted or regulated? Do we have a right to offend or do we have a right not to be offended?

I've got my views which I'll chip in with later, but for now, as the title suggests, what are your thoughts and why?

Personal abuse to one side because that may have a different answer

I should be allowed to hold opinion on any subject and be free to express that opinion
If the opinion I hold is not personally offensive but causes someone with a different viewpoint to become offended then that's unfortunately tough on them

It needs to known that being offended does not give anyone who happens to be offended the right to enforce their opinion on others

Last edited:
Broadly speaking, people should have the freedom to say what they think, whether it is correct or not factually. It is an opinion, and an opinion is always right.

However, there are people who have opinions which are extreme, which generate hate and intolerance. Those opinions should be restricted or regulated.

The difficult part, is who decides these opinions are wrong and how, especially in this modern world do you 'police' it.

The msm seems to have a definition of freedom that doesn't reflect what the populous thinks......

Hence the growth of internet based broadcasting which isn't subject to the control of Ofcom.

Ps. Where have you been? Your input has been missed!

Being "allowed" to have free speech is nonsense. I am born a freeman on the land and have to answer to no man. No one is in a position to "allow" me to speak as I find. By my own personal lights I restrict my speech which is just ad hominem attacks as it is usually non productive and generally just spite. Sometimes however the truth must be told which is unpalatable to some individuals, if that truth is painful to them that is their problem. If you don't want to be offended don't behave offensively. As to regulation by a minority (known as the P.T.B.) holding armed forces to enforce their view, well that is tyranny.

Laugh if the Mods closed this thread before D Skelton was able to give his views. Might just hit the report button, citing fascists viewpoint on black female pilot whales. :)

I should be allowed to hold opinion on any subject and be free to express that opinion
If the opinion I hold is not personally offensive but causes someone with a different viewpoint to become offended then that's unfortunately tough on them

It needs to known that being offended does not give anyone who happens to be offended the right to enforce their opinion on others

Totally agree with the above :thumbsup:

I completely agree, but would add I draw the line at extremists who start inciting others to be hateful, bigoted or violent, particularly if those who are listening are not well educated enough to be in a position to question what they are being told or they are stupid enough to buy it without question.

I think what bugs me the most about the current situation is the disparity that exists.

If for example, I criticised say Islam, I would most likely be branded a racist (despite Islam being a religious ideology and not a race of people) or anti-Islamic (why would I be anti-Islamic if I simply have a view on some aspect of the religion? I just have an opinion, if you want to practice it, that's fine by me, that's your choice I'm not going to stop you, just don't expect me to and don't try and force your views on me). If I was critical of another woman (not her, but her actions or beliefs) I would almost certainly be branded sexist, misogynistic, a traitor to my 'kind' and would probably be accused of assaulting them or carrying out violence against them (apparently words can assault 3rd wave feminists - let's not go there, bunch of whiners who think they represent women - they don't represent me, I don't need them to defend me against male oppression, I like a good bit of office banter and the odd sexist joke, and p.s. to any that happen to be reading this, the gender pay gap is complete and utter carp, it does not exist and the difference in pay is a direct result of the life choices people make). On the other side of that coin are things like Christianity, Catholicism and white men. It's perfectly OK to criticise them, you're not racist, you're not anti-religion, you're not sexist, you just have an opinion.

So on the one hand we have opinions that could actually destroy your reputation, see you charged with a criminal offence or see you come to physical harm (or worse) just because you have a view that isn't aligned to a particular way of thinking and on the other it's just an opinion, even though you're saying the same thing but from an opposing view point. How can that be right?

That disparity is seemingly present in all Western societies and is getting worse, aided by liberals, the main stream media and the pandering to weak minded fools who are incapable of processing a view other than their own, typically in my view, as a result of being emotionally (or otherwise) immature or insecure in their beliefs.

I do think we have to acknowledge, that the 'Western World', haven't always been the goody two shoes that we seem to be trying to achieve now. We have our baggage. I think in perhaps a few hundred of years from now, when we are all flying around in space cars the extreme side of Islam might be having the same light bulb moment.

Lets not forget, that in this country, woman weren't 'allowed' to vote until 1918, and not full equality with same age men until 1928, that's just 89 years ago, 7 years more than the typical life expectancy of a woman in the UK. We abolished slavery in 1833, 184 years ago, something that had gone on for centuries, and perhaps endemic in Islamic countries, as well as other Christian societies.

Say what you want, but consider the impact it has on others. Otherwise, at best your just a ----. :)

Loving it!

A pleasant discourse of balanced and philanthropic views.....from chaps who usually want a public stoning for suggesting an Ra in double figures,is OK :)

Where have you been? Your input has been missed!

Haha, thank you, I'm sure you lot have coped without me though. To be honest, busy working, travelling and writing. I hover, and sometimes I even reply, but nine times out of ten I'll delete my reply before posting haha.

Let's hope they do.

Why? Is there something wrong with this topic? Pretty sure I posted it in the right section but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

Haha, thank you, I'm sure you lot have coped without me though. To be honest, busy working, travelling and writing. I hover, and sometimes I even reply, but nine times out of ten I'll delete my reply before posting haha.

Why? Is there something wrong with this topic? Pretty sure I posted it in the right section but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

I am vehemently opposed to where you have posted your question....but i will defend to the death,your right to do so ;)

(Have i got the answer right,yet?)

Freedom of speech - Should it be absolute or restricted {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Freedom of speech - Should it be absolute or restricted {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Freedom of speech - Should it be absolute or restricted in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock