Discuss Freezer Tripping Rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

YTSOxford

Hi all,

I have a TT system at the moment and a freezer trips the rcd on start up. I am rewiring and the old 100m/a rcd board is still on, it works fine on this and starts up, and if you leave it for a few minutes and plug it into the new board afterwards, it does not trip the new board.

what would you guys do? It was connected to a socket outlet plate before, with a 30m/a built into it and this did not trip, is it possible to have this on a dedicated circuit? Even though it would be mainswitch side - so no rcd protection to the plug, (surface mounted)?

hi mate - i have tested the new boards RCD and all is fine, not sure about the old RCD intergrated socket that it was plugged into tho, it probably has had it. I do remember the builder saying he got a shock of the old wiring, but then again he sholuld be leaving that to me! :-0

If the freezer has an auto defrost function then this is possibly causing it to trip the RCD. Have found this with a number of freezers they have a heating element which operates about every 24 hours this becomes porus drawing in damp or it is slowly failing causing it to trip the RCD. Have also had similar problems caused by temerature probes

If the freezer has an auto defrost function then this is possibly causing it to trip the RCD. Have found this with a number of freezers they have a heating element which operates about every 24 hours this becomes porus drawing in damp or it is slowly failing causing it to trip the RCD. Have also had similar problems caused by temerature probes

Thanks. That probably is the cause just not sure how to solve the problem.

Hi all,

I have a TT system at the moment and a freezer trips the rcd on start up. I am rewiring and the old 100m/a rcd board is still on, it works fine on this and starts up, and if you leave it for a few minutes and plug it into the new board afterwards, it does not trip the new board.

what would you guys do? It was connected to a socket outlet plate before, with a 30m/a built into it and this did not trip, is it possible to have this on a dedicated circuit? Even though it would be mainswitch side - so no rcd protection to the plug, (surface mounted)?

If the route the cable takes does not require RCD protection (surface mounted or buried more than 50mm in wall) the regs state that RCD protection can be omitted for sockets labelled for a specific item of equipment.

If the route the cable takes does not require RCD protection (surface mounted or buried more than 50mm in wall) the regs state that RCD protection can be omitted for sockets labelled for a specific item of equipment.

Supply is TT so doesn't it need a RCD at front end if disconnection times can not be met

Supply is TT so doesn't it need a RCD at front end if disconnection times can not be met

Yep. Missed that bit
Freezer Tripping Rcd {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Freezer Tripping Rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock