Discuss Full Refurbishment And Socket Heights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

EViS

-
Reaction score
We seem to be getting conflicting answers on whether the recommendations in Part M relating to installing sockets and switches at 450mm to 1200mm respectively also apply to existing dwellings undergoing a full refurbishment (and rewire). Can anyone put the record straight?

BC are involved on this project, however inspectors aren't always correct, so we would like to be armed with the correct information in the event they argue that the new sockets and switches should be installed at these heights.

The confusion seems to arise between various folk that refurbs (everything within the dwelling being ripped out) are also classed as 'new builds'. So there is no truth in this, correct?

In which case, at what height do you guys tend to install new sockets and switches on a refurb/rewire job?
either where they were originally or where the customer specifies. within reason. if I think it's a stupid place, I'll usually just tell the customer that and suggest an alternative

There should be no confusion really. If the building has been used for the same purpose previously then it is not a new build. As to heights that is to an extent subjective. All other things being equal I often fit to Part M in a refurb as what you loose on a chase upstairs you gain downstairs, assuming its a standard 2 floor house. But the answer to your question for me at least is what ever looks right.

If the customer is a housing association etc you may find their spec has certain clauses eg ground floor flats and bungalows sockets at 900 etc as it is almost 100% that during the life of the installation someone less able bodied will live there.

Haven't got part M to hand but i reckon it says something about if someone less abled bodied is living there then is has to be done. I reckon that would just be common sense and good practise.

Reply to Full Refurbishment And Socket Heights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock