Discuss fuse blown!!! quick in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lamps draw more current prior to 'blowing'.

Less common to blow fuses than trip mcbs.

May indicate load is close to overloading 3A fuse - (nominally 690W) put in a 5A.

If you’ve still got the lamp and can see the filament I think you will find it’s totally disintegrated and not just broken at one point. A lamp can fail catastrophically where the filament vaporises and the vapour will carry many times the rated current, this is what probably blew the fuse.

Agree with tony,generally lamps only fail when cold and first energised,especially if the gls type,and when the filament pops,the"temporary short" will take out the fuse,because the filament has such a low resistance when cold more liable to break and blow a fuse,did see a place in us a car garage that has a standard gls lamp its been left on for the last 60 years,they best not switch it off lol

Talking of old lamps I helped a mate get some stuff up in to his loft and there low and behold was an “Edison Tear Drop” lamp still working! Can I have that please? Yes sure but lets get the rest of the stuff up first. It had to happen, passed a long length of timber thought the hatch and smashed the lamp. I would have loved it for my collection of old gear.

Reply to fuse blown!!! quick in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am using a 160watt-200watt multi uv tube stand alone sunbed,When the 2 power leads (plugs protected by 2x13amp fuses) plugged into a double wall...
Replies
Views
I'll try to make this quick... A month ago the taillights all went out, checked the fuse it was blown and replaced it. A couple day later they...
Replies
Views
1 - Major supply fault, details unknown. By time I get there DNO already put in genny and are digging up road. 2 - Reason for call, heating not...
Replies
Views
Hello, Is there an actual age limit on house wiring that would prevent a traditional fuse box being replaced with a consumer unit please...
Replies
Views
What can be worse than electrical installations on a farm, or in a pub?...... Chippys! Got a phone call from my local.... Lights and kitchen...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock