Discuss fuse rating moulded plug in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris.hyom

I PAT tested a Hotpoint Iced Diamond fridge freezer RFAA52. The CE plate on the back said 150W but the moulded plug said 13Amp. I looked up the instruction book on the Hotpoint web site and it said 13amp. I left the 13 amp fuse in the plug but it just seemed to be wrong. I sent an email to Hotpoint to ask the reason but they said that they could not answer the question.
so why does a 150W appliance need a 13amp fuse?

150watts may run an ammonia absorption fridge but if it's a fridge that has a compressor then I don't believe it only consumes 150watts.

It must be a very small fridge. The average Fridge freezer is around 400 watts tick over power. When the compressor kicks in it can be 6 times that amount hence the 13 amp fuse.

Had similar with a slow cooker, tesco said to follow manufacturers instructions as its a safety instruction - still not sure why on earth a less than 200w appliance would need 13 amp fuse - its a slow cooker, surely no surges etc.

Welcome to the forum kenuk, please take note of the posting dates of any thread your responding to as this is a year old thread, in regards to the topic in hand, don't be confused with plug top fuses - they are there on a lot of occasions to give short circuit protection only and not overcurrent protection as many often assume (although they are used of O/L protection too dependent on the product). A products current rating alone cannot be used as an indication of plugtop fuse rating.

2 years, darkwood, 2 years. andf i thought i was going senile. :shocked3:

Reply to fuse rating moulded plug in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net