Discuss Fused plugs in UK, not in Europe! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

greeny

Hi All,
In the Uk we accept that for protection of cables we use protective devices. We also have fused plugs, which for instance might be 3 amps on a low current using device such as a mains radio. The 3 amp fuse is going to be safer and offer a level of secuity to the radio, and maybe a simple fault on it could be rectified instead of the whole thing going up in flames if there was no fused plug.

WHY is it that in Europe they do not have fused plugs and rely on the mcbs ?
I would welcome others comments.
Thanks
Greeny

I think that the MCB protects the fixed wiring to the socket/appliance.
The fuse in the plug only protects the cable of the actual appliance.

As you said, the fuse in the plug is mainly to protect the cable of the appliance.

Appliances rely on internal fuses for their protection.

I think.

I think that the MCB protects the fixed wiring to the socket/appliance.
The fuse in the plug only protects the cable of the actual appliance.

Therefore one assumes that in Europe, the equpment's internal fuse is the equivalent of our plug fuse.
Greeny

A lot of it is to do with us and our beloved ring circuits.

The rest of Europe dont use the ring circuit only radials so where we have a 32A OCPD, they will have an OCPD of say 10 - 20A, so we find it necessary to fit fuses in our plugs to protect the appliances.

In europe generally the ring circuit does not exist all socket circuits are radials at 15A or sometimes 20A as a ring circuit is protected by a 30A or 32A fuse or mcb the plug top fuse provides protection for the appliance and it's cable

For the history behind the ring circuit take a look at Ring circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets hope the 18th edition gets rid of our beloved rings and we then will simplyfy matters with radials
Greeny

I dont suppose there is much stopping simillar wiring methods being adopted by us
Running the whole of a room on a 1.5 radial circuit with 16 amp mcbs for power and lights
Its not the typical install,but as long as the cables are all that minimum size,we could do the same

We have to rely on the user fitting correct size fusing to their 3 amp radios
often they dont,so its questionable whether there is any advantage with our system

ya the step down from a ring-circuit to an appliance-cord neccessites a fuse

the final circuit 'ocpd' would need to closely match the rating of appliance cord in the non-fused plug setup

As Lenny states degrees of protection but as we harmanise closer with europe we will properbly drop the 13a socket , start installing DP MCB's and be devoid of suppliers earth terminals

Reply to Fused plugs in UK, not in Europe! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net