• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss G59/3 Extension to Solar PV in Aberdeenshire in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I have a 3.68kW solar PV set-up and am wanting to add a Growatt SP2000 battery storage system. I have the necessary parts i.e. Growatt SP2000 and battery, an SMA SB1700, the PV panels, AC & DC isolators, TGM etc. etc. but need an electrician to submit a G59/3 application, provide the necessary G59/3 panel and hook it all up.

There are no FIT payments so costs need to be kept as low as reasonably possible.

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard
so you would like to add battery storage system to your 3.68Kw system am I correct?
not sure why you need a G59/3 hook up & certificate.
unless I have missed something.

marc8,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have made my intentions a little clearer. I want to add 1.645kW of solar panels/ SMA SB1700 to my existing system which will be used to charge the Growatt SP2000 system. SSE have advised that as I'm going beyond the 'allowed' 3.68kW any addition would need to be G59/ 3 compliant.

My understanding is that I therefore need a G59/ 3 mains protection relay (and 2 pole contactor) incorporating in to the planned system expansion.

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard
I see, hope you have deep pockets. another solution might have been to add battery storage on what you already have & not bother with the additional panels. not sure if 1.645kw of additional panels would give you a return on investment with G59/3 relay & install, I know you are not looking for FITS on the additional install which would then make the pay back even longer.

marc8,

It would help my decision making if I knew what the G59/ 3 panel would cost. I have assembled all the other parts required and can do the simple hooking up but the G59 bit is beyond me and needs a duly qualified electrician.. I just missed a Megacon relay on eBay. It would have needed sending back to the manufacturers to be re-programmed as it was only G59/ 2.

I've limited the current expansion to <1700W to utilise an SMA SB1700 I already have sat on a shelf.

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard
speaking with a colleague today he mentioned that over last few weeks he has been informed that you can above 4Kwp on the roof system on single phase systems without the need for the relay as long as you use a suitable inverter something to do with the protection facility & set up's G38/2 & G59 settings.
not sure if this will help or not but might be worth a look

marc8,

The way the system has evolved is, partly, 'dictating' the way ahead.

I started off with 1.28kW in the pre-FIT's days i.e. ROC (now rolled over to ROC-FIT's) to which I managed to add a further 2.56kW which qualified as an original FIT install so getting the £0.50 a unit payment. 1.28kW of this is on a Lorentz tracker.

Each 1.28kW is on its own inverter (SMA 1700). The 1.28kW ROC-FIT is separately metered so there are two generation meters.

The planned 1.645kW addition is partly dictated by the constraints of the roof space available.

SSE have suggested any addition would need a separate generation meter but I could opt for getting FIT's payment in proportion to the total generation.

Ignore the outright economics of this as I want to do it.

Can any body advise the smallest G59/ 3 certified inverter? The SolarEdge SE2200 appears to be compliant?

I seem to have two options:-

1. install the 1.645kW through a standalone (G59/ 3) inverter or

2. merge either of the existing, roof mounted, 1.28kW sections with the proposed 1.645kW addition and look for 3kW, twin MPPT, G59/ 3 inverter.

Regards

Richard

Reply to G59/3 Extension to Solar PV in Aberdeenshire in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock