Discuss Garage / shower cu in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

whats the general consensus on using an RCD as a main swich?

I had to add another board today for a car charger, basically the current installation had no space left and the customer and charge point supplier said put another board in just for that, which is what I was going to do anyway.

So I fitted a Hager VE24H as Eddies had one. Like this one.

Hager VE24H Garage Consumer Unit With 1 x 32A + 1 x 6A MCBs & 40A 30mA RCD IP55, VE24H

I know somewhere in the rgs it says something about not using a single RCD, I can only assume its ok if a second board like this is added, I guess it just means if it was the main board as it would not comply.

Ive popped a 32A and 16A breakers in there with a 2 module electric meter to meter the car charger power. I got the din Rail meter from autometers, the AD1-80MC, I have to say it fitted perfectly inside the hager box, just the right size.

One of these http://www.autometers.co.uk/products/view/66/ad1-80mc

No problem electrically with an RCD used as a main switch of a single board, as long as the current rating of the RCD does not get exceeded. Some of these cheap small boards have some low rated RCDs.

But its not a good idea to have an RCD as the main switch of the whole installation.

Obviously when adding a second board like this you should be installing a main switch which isolates all boards, but for some reason this rule seems to often be forgotten in domestic world.

Yes true, it did have a 40A rcd but swapped it out for a 63A as it was more suited to the requirements of the customer, those din rail meters, I would highly recommend, very good, look smart too, even has an illuminated display.

No problem electrically with an RCD used as a main switch of a single board, as long as the current rating of the RCD does not get exceeded.

I did label in large permenant adhesive tape that the total load must not exceed 63A, it all helps cover my back, my installation was designed for a very specific purpose as is safe for that.

Reply to Garage / shower cu in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net