Discuss Garden install questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to the forum.

I have been given a garden to electrics installed.

Originally it was just a lighting system but now they want power as well.

TheY have had patio at the back done and dont want it lifted up.

I have to run the swa from the basement to the front of the house and then travel 44m down to then end of the garden.

There is no shed there.

They want a wise system
15 spike lights
And three sockets.
One at the patio and 2 near the end both side.

My questions are:

How would I terminate the swa at the end of the garden to split for the 2 circuits?

Do I yous a large wiska box and use a din rail terminal?

Also I was think 32a rcbo but feel it my be too high?

If they left it as light then it wouldn't of been a problem.
The sockets on top are what has thrown me.

Thank you for reading

Big sparks that's the system I have to fit. It was the power for the sockets that was getting me stumped.

I over think jobs just to let you know.

Buzz
I thought that but the wise box said it can take 10a per circuit and there is 4.
I only need 3 and the sockets are just for a laptop and ipad. So 32a was on my mind

i was going off the spec of the system that was shown to me asking for 10 per channel and there is 4 im only using 3
but that why i asked because i thought that was excessive.

i am only guessing thats what they will use they did say the want to use other things but didnt acually go in to detail.
they may have heat lamps when they have a party you never know.

i was going off the spec of the system that was shown to me asking for 10 per channel and there is 4 im only using 3
but that why i asked because i thought that was excessive.

i am only guessing thats what they will use they did say the want to use other things but didnt acually go in to detail.
they may have heat lamps when they have a party you never know.
I think you need to have a discussion with the customer. Massive difference between a laptop and a couple of patio heaters.

As this is domestic not commercial, you need to think slightly different,
32A seems too much, 20A would be perfectly adequate under most circumstances,
have you spoken to the customer to get some idea of the expected loads on the outlets ?.

I have asked the question and they are sure it just small items that will be used.

I am worried about the volt drop as the the sockets have to be run around the garden. If I ran it as a separate circuit it will have to be a 101m run in total.

If I ran the sockets from the 4 channel then I think I will get a call saying they ain't working when they haven't switched them on

Reply to Garden install questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net