Discuss Garden light fault in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nigel Evans

I have a set of double insulated LED garden brick lights that I installed about 5 years ago, Recently they tripped the RCBO and would not reset. The fault is L&N to earth, about 0.2 mega ohms. The install is SWA terminated into galvanized conduit boxes filled with magic jell.Thinking the jell may have become absorbent after time I split the circuit and opened some of the boxes removing the jell as I went. the test result was the same. I then started cutting out the push fit connectors and testing each leg, these were all clear. When I tested a line conductor of one of the disconnected fittings to the metal of the conduit box it was down to earth, I removed the flex from ythe light for closer inspection and it looked fine. I had the same issue a couple of years ago with another set of garden lights which I just changed and they worked fine afterwards but now I want to know how this is possible or what I am over looking, any sensible suggestions?

Did you remove the lamps when you tested IR L to N? daft question but sometimes even the simplest things are overlooked

It's a Line-Earth fault Pete.

If I'm reading this right, all your cables are fine, the fault's in the luminaires?
Sounds like the usual moisture ingress, get better quality lights.

I had a garden light insulation fault last month, the large base of one of the lanterns on a wall was filled with an ants nest!
Damp seems to get in and can cause tracking in all sorts of places. What was the lights cable type?

On the basis that Ive never been able to find brick lights with a 'better' rating than IP65, I'm going to assume you couldn't either. I don't fit any brick lights anymore because of this reason.

IP67 or preferably IP68 for me if its going to be 'buried' in a wall/the ground - had enough of going back for the same reasons you have.

It's a Line-Earth fault Pete.

If I'm reading this right, all your cables are fine, the fault's in the luminaires?
Sounds like the usual moisture ingress, get better quality lights.
My mistake Archy

The lights Are IP67 Aurora sealed fittings with two core rubber flex that went through a stuffing gland into a box filled with jell. In rights there should be no way moisture can get in however it sounds like the only logical explanation

Reply to Garden light fault in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock