Discuss Garden Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but here is a slant from my angle. (Does that count as a pun?)

I've been asked by some friends (true in this case ) to sort out their garden lighting. They already have three RCD protected circuits from a seperate CU feeding outside junction box via SWA. The circuits feed lighting and a pond pump. Pond pump working ok but there is a fault on the lighting somewhere.

When we get some daylight I'm keen to do some testing to establish what's wrong with the lights (probably some damp at a junction point).

Lady of the house, however, is getting all enthusiastic and would like new lights at various locations. Current system has surface run cables through the flower beds which she's not too keen on due to the cables being run on surface. Anyone recommend any garden lighting systems / methods / that would fit with this and the Regs etc?

Stick extra low voltage lighting in, putting the drivers where the feeds start. Will solve your tripping issue and you can bury the elv stuff at any depth you like.

We do tons of gardens like this, although we still insist on the cabling being surface as something will inevitably go wrong.

I would recommend collingwood fittings with the orlight ip68 drivers. Don't use the collingwood drivers, they fail within a year.

Cheers chaps. Cables run on surface look too thin for SWA. Haven't ferreted around in the dark for obvious reasons. ELV sounds best bet.

1.5mm² 3 Core NYY-J Cable - Black - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/NY1dot5slash3.html?ad_position=1o1&source=adwords&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=NY1.5%2f3&product_partition_id=174056239507&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=CIaB7eiXzNECFe4Q0wod9QMGgQ

Whilst not suitable for burying, or even when mechanical damage is likely, another product to consider if it can be clipped up out the way somewhere. Unless the gardens massive mind. I can't see you digging trenches all over the show, and burying swa.

Reply to Garden Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock