Discuss Generator earth rod in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys

Got a 55KVA genny on a job with an earth rod situated nearby.

Does the earth electrode reistance have to be <21ohms, the same as a DNO supply transformer or is that a different set of rules?
I know the rod provides a zero reference for the star point neutral connection, but apart from that i dont undersdtand why we would have to test the earth rod anyway if the sytem isnt TT.

Any clarity would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Guys

Got a 55KVA genny on a job with an earth rod situated nearby.

Does the earth electrode reistance have to be <21ohms, the same as a DNO supply transformer or is that a different set of rules?
I know the rod provides a zero reference for the star point neutral connection, but apart from that i dont undersdtand why we would have to test the earth rod anyway if the sytem isnt TT.

Any clarity would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Oh Dear Oh Dear!! .....

Well, coming out with such a completely daft statement regarding Generator earthing, what do you expect??
The benefit of your superior knowledge would have been appreciated, and thats not sarcasm either.lol
Since my opening post i have found a similar thread on here in the last few days that you contributed to in a positive way.lol
A link to that thread or a similar one like johnboy did would have been enough rather than the contempt you offered.lol
Surely these type of sites are the place to ask daft questions or make misinformed statements with the hope that the clarity will be offered from more established members.lol

Last edited:
well you do see dudes just wack the rod in and dont see any test equipment??

When it was in its original position prior to getting resited the genny did not have an earth rod/mat at all.
Nor a Neutral to earth link for that matter!

What are you saying now, ...Because this 55KVA generator was incorrectly installed/set-up in it's original position, it's OK to do the same at the re-sited position??

I won't go any further than that!! lol!!!

What are you saying now, ...Because this 55KVA generator was incorrectly installed/set-up in it's original position, it's OK to do the same at the re-sited position??

I won't go any further than that!! lol!!!
Oh dear Oh dear!!
The world wide web really does allow keyboard warriors a stage to perform on.
It must be the year of the paper tiger in China.

Reply to Generator earth rod in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock