Discuss Generator light problem in my 65 Buick in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

doogie

Hey guys, I'm new to the site as I'm experiencing a problem with my electrical system in my 65 Buick Sportwagon. This is what I did. The car was charging fine but at idle the light would flicker and the GEN light would lightly glow, which would go out once I gave it gas. So I took out the alternator and took it to test it. It tested fine, but in the process I saw it had terminal on the back that was not hooked up labeled GND. So I put it back and ran a ground wire to the battery. I thought I fixed the problem because no more light flickering. Until....
The GEN light does not come on when I turn key to ON position. It does comes on when key is in ACC position and when I turn the key to the START position. Also, I took the belt off the alternator and ran the engine to see if it would trigger the light to come on and the GEN light still does not come on. I have no idea what to check or what running a ground wire to the battery might have done. The car does have a voltage regulator in addition to the alternator. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Doogie and welcome along to the forum.

Hi dude,this system sounds similar to some of the older british trucks,which had alternators with external mounted regulators.

Does the charge warning light wire,go to this? It is also worth checking you have the wiring correct to the ignition switch.

There should be an ignition live to ignition circuit,whilst at start position,or it would not fire,so it is strange this provides a different state of charge light illumination.

If you can list terminal nomenclature,on both alternator and regulator,i may dig out me old notes on such antiquated yokes.

I had them dusted off a while ago,for setting up a current/voltage regulator,for a dynamo on a Fergie tractor.

Any muppet can drive an ipad...but it takes bear grylls to stone cut-out contact,and flash field coils...:smiley2:

Reply to Generator light problem in my 65 Buick in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock