Discuss Getting Power to sofa in middle of lounge in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

a customer has bought some new sofa's where the reclining mechanism is electric and has asked me to sort a supply.

easy except the sofas are sat slap bang in the middle of a large square carpeted lounge! Floor is concrete with hot water UFH.

the house is also ultra minimalist and having a cable on show is not an option the customer wants to entertain.

the two ideas I have thus far are

1. Some kind of low profile steel trunking solution to take the place of the underlay

2. Bury the cable in the screed after using an IR camera to find the pipes.

option 1 - I thought would be fairly easy but so far I have found nothing in the uk marketed for the job and my other concern is the thermal issue of the cable being stuck between and insulating carpet and a heating element - although loads is next to zero and was thinking I would use a high temp flex.

option 2 - i am not massively keen on digging around in the screed even though I should be able to trace the pipes pretty well as I am not keen on turning his lounge into a swimming pool!

any other great ideas gratefully accepted, and telling him to get a different sofa not an option.

many thanks in advance

paul

Cutting a slot in the underlay and running a cable in it is, in my opinion, not a viable option. I guess a bit of MICC would be perfectly OK in that situation, but I still wouldn't do it.

Just tell the lazy buggers to get a mechanical recliner as the little bit of exercise will be good for them.

Laugh at them and walk away!
:iagree:
It might sound unhelpful, but they haven't given you anything to work with - every possible option has some kind of barrier in the way - you can't go under the floor, you can't go over the floor, presumably they won't want you to drop down from the ceiling...
If they'd wanted an electric sofa in the middle of the floor, and underfloor heating, then they should have designed that in when the underfloor heating was going in.

IMO they can either run a cable across the floor, which isn't ideal for a permanent fixture without using a cable ramp, or they can move the sofa closer to a socket, but by the sound of it whatever you come up with they'll have some sort of problem with.

Wet UFH is more often than not within the lower third of the slab, with a slab depth of 6" so there's room to cut and screed over a conduit - maybe they'll find a builder/plumber brave enough to provide you the route.

But what happens when they want to rearrange the furniture ........

:iagree:
It might sound unhelpful, but they haven't given you anything to work with - every possible option has some kind of barrier in the way - you can't go under the floor, you can't go over the floor, presumably they won't want you to drop down from the ceiling...
If they'd wanted an electric sofa in the middle of the floor, and underfloor heating, then they should have designed that in when the underfloor heating was going in.

IMO they can either run a cable across the floor, which isn't ideal for a permanent fixture without using a cable ramp, or they can move the sofa closer to a socket, but by the sound of it whatever you come up with they'll have some sort of problem with.

I went to look at a job like that once....wanted a few extra sockets but didn't want to see any cables, didn't want it chased in and didn't want trunking.

1) Bare 2L1 is 5.1mm dia. i.e. will fit in the slot cut by a grinding disc. Will take any temp you care to subject it to.

2) If recliner has self-contained ELV PSU, remote the PSU and run copper tape under the carpet to the control unit.

3) RTG. Contact NASA for recommended suppliers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

Move sofa to wall, more space between sofa and TV , nice and easy to do will give more room for a bit of A play when kids go to bed
Ps I am drunk

Here ye gan!!!

Just park this behind the sofa & plug it in.

Getting Power to sofa in middle of lounge {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

washing? geordies| ?come on. :willy_nilly:

nowi know who nicked my mum's washing machine.and you say scousers are thieves?

Reply to Getting Power to sofa in middle of lounge in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock