Discuss Getting Power to sofa in middle of lounge in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

just a quick update and it looks like I will be renting a thermal image camera and taking on the floor challenge - screed is apparently 100mm thick and it is 16mm pipe system, so with a wall chaser set at 30mm and spending some time surveying all should be well.

Thanks to all for the helpful and not so helpful but amusing suggestions

just a quick update and it looks like I will be renting a thermal image camera and taking on the floor challenge - screed is apparently 100mm thick and it is 16mm pipe system, so with a wall chaser set at 30mm and spending some time surveying all should be well.

I hope you are getting very well paid, you are a brave man.

More often than not the pipe will be within the lower third of the slab, but there will be plenty of places (in between the fixings) where it will be a lot higher - if you start with a stone cold slab you should be able to highlight these high spots with the TIC, don't be surprised if there are lots of them - but if you pick a route that mostly runs parallel to the pipe you should avoid having to hand chisel - good luck.

I wouldn't be touching this one. Some customers have a weird perception of what our job entails.
its a bit like asking a taxi driver to drive you through London but stating you don't. Want to see another bit of traffic!!

IF it is 100mm,and IF the 16mm pipe is centrally run,or below,that gives you 42mm clearance...much less,where the poker has dislodged a section...

If you have to do it,and heaven knows why...get a thermal camera,or even a laser thermometer,run UFH up to maximum temp,and chalk out runs.

Brighter images,or higher/wider thermal readings will give rough indication of pipes being closer to the surface.

Plan cable containment run (coz your NOT just running in the cable...)so it runs parallel and off,any pipe.

You may have to straddle 1,2 or 3 pipes to get where you are feeding cable,but i would do these small sections by HAND.

Get your chaser,set it to 50 or 60mm wide,and the depth to 2mm. Use a guide or rule,to ensure straightness. Chase out your run,doing the bits missed,by hand,like a stone-mason.

Reset your chaser,to the depth and width,of your cable/containment +2mm. Chase out centrally,using again,a guide.

This will give you three benefits.

1) You/others will have future access to the cable,which should be fine,protected by its' steel lid.

2) If the cable is removed,remedial work to re-screed is easy,without having to leave a redundant cable stuck in position.

3) You will have a sizable amount of remuneration at your disposal,due to your customer having to increase their expenditure on this project,to not only include the cost of an electrician,but also the efforts of an engineer,design consultant and stone-mason.

I wish you every success,and if i had one more tip,to add,it would be RIGHT at the start,go to the UFH manifold,determine the exact size and type of pipework,and have at your disposal,a piece to match,and two straight couplers!

Last edited:
never mind a chaser. i'd not touch it with a barge pole. walk away is my advice.

I would entertain this particular job. Pegs post #26 is excellent advice. I would set out in writing what you plan to do, and get signed consent/agreement from the client that they are happy with your proposal. This would include the relevant information about what you have been informed about the depth of the pipework.

I think the hardest bit may be per Peg's last suggestion; may be troublesome finding a small repair section if needed.

Yes,taking it the job on,would depend on the split between adventure,and remuneration. Most lads concentrating on the latter!

To ease that repair task,one of the couplers,dependent on type,would maybe need adapting to a "slip" type,to limit excavation...:chinese:

A quick update - the customer now has electric sockets in the middle of the room and no sign of a swimming pool.

things got delayed a week as hire company supposed to be supplying the Flir camera got confused and got in a non contact thermometer instead!

I ended up up buying a Flir One for iOS as well as hiring the i7 and have to say the Flir One is a great bit of kit for 200 quid and was invaluable in setting everything out before I started, highly recommended.

thanks for all of the helpful comments and suggestions

paul

doing a similar job this week have customer who has Piano in middle of round room & no power under the Piano you ask why need power this piano plays itself from an App. lets just say not a cheap piano.

anyway my solution is scrape out screed deep enough to take the cable & a 4mm thick plate over the top then back down with underlay & carpet & again we have wet underfloor heating in place.
we will end up with deep grove in the middle & 4 mm scrape out about 50mm wide which will lay over top. going to use leg of Piano & put a small hole through to screed & use marker pen before we role back carpet.
we will pop up against skirting & then just along to the socket outlet, we are only using as an extension lead type fitting that way can be unplugged & move at anytime.

Reply to Getting Power to sofa in middle of lounge in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock