Discuss Glass v Ceramic Fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pin145

I have a travel adapter that has blown a fuse due to using a hairdryer in Cuba.

I need to replace it. The original has a 2.5amp ceramic fuse in it. Can I put a glass type in or does it have to be ceramic? What are the differences between the two?

Tom

I have a travel adapter that has blown a fuse due to using a hairdryer in Cuba.

I need to replace it. The original has a 2.5amp ceramic fuse in it. Can I put a glass type in or does it have to be ceramic? What are the differences between the two?

Tom

I take it this isn't a British Standard fuse? Either way I would suggest replacing like for like.

no bought it in canada two years ago. here in canada at the minute and they can get a replacement fuse in a weeks time.

I'd hazard a guess that the ceramic has a higher breaking capacity than the glass one as it's getting strapped across the mains. Like for like is good advice.

I usually come across glass types in low fault current applications, eg, protecting electronics. There may be several on a single board and that board may be one of many interdependant circuits so if one goes others might go at the same time. Imagine metering out a racks-worh of in-line fuses. Nasty. Make 'em out of glass and all you need is an eyeball.

Reply to Glass v Ceramic Fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock