Discuss Going beyond PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm an employee of an electrical firm whose only service is PAT testing. Of course I have my 17th edition, Part P, both PAT test certificates and some other papers, you name it.
And no, it's not one of those "pay-to-slap" companies, on a good day I can test up to 150 items (in 9 to 10 hours) if there's no fail, just because I actually test and check every single item I come across; same thing goes for my colleagues.
Sometimes I come across things that, technically, go beyond PAT testing but they would make shiver any competent electrician (please, bear in mind that I was an electrician myself before being a full time PAT tester).
As an example, the other day I've found some sort of battery charger being used in zone 0 of a bathroom (yes, zone zero. That's correct. And no, it wasn't part of a SELV, just on a normal main ring socket), or a normal wall socket wired to the ring main, being used for a lawn mower for the back garden, despite that small chapter of the 17th called special locations.
My question is: as a PAT tester, am I allowed to point out these things to the clients? My company has no problem with that, but still I'm in doubt if I am allowed or not.
And before you ask yes, I do have the competence necessary to carry out those checks, the only bit I miss are the actual 2394 and 2395 papers, which I'm about to get.
EDIT: no, the company I work for is NOT forcing me to carry out checks that go beyond PAT testing. It's just me that I can't help it, if I notice something wrong I've got to notify it, no matter if it's not PAT testing related.

I believe you or your company has a duty of care to it's customers, to this end and to cover my rear end I would note down your concerns pass them to your boss, that's your backside covered oh and keep a copy yourself.

What's wrong with a socket fed from a ring circuit being used for a lawnmower?
That I would never use a socket from the main ring to power a lawn mower. From the NIC website:
Sufficient circuits are provided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault.
Also, it might be considered part of a special location of sheds, garages and greenhouses. I can't quote you the exact regulation but I have it here, on my electrician's guide from the IET.

I believe you or your company has a duty of care to it's customers, to this end and to cover my rear end I would note down your concerns pass them to your boss, that's your backside covered oh and keep a copy yourself.
So I'm in the right by doing it, isn't it? Because that's what I've been doing until now, and I'm sure the company passes on those "fails" to the clients.

That I would never use a socket from the main ring to power a lawn mower. From the NIC website:
Sufficient circuits are provided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault.
Also, it might be considered part of a special location of sheds, garages and greenhouses. I can't quote you the exact regulation but I have it here, on my electrician's guide from the IET.

So I'm in the right by doing it, isn't it? Because that's what I've been doing until now, and I'm sure the company passes on those "fails" to the clients.
Never use a socket from the ring main (it's called a Ring Final Circuit RFC now) how else are you going to use an electric lawn mower if not from a socket, provided it protected by a RCD? The NICEIC website that would be an interesting read.

Never use a socket from the ring main (it's called a Ring Final Circuit RFC now) how else are you going to use an electric lawn mower if not from a socket, provided it protected by a RCD? The NICEIC website that would be an interesting read.
I'm not saying that, I'm saying it should be used on its own socket with its own RCD, not part of the RFC (sorry, I'm not hooked up on the new nomenclature). The bad part, in my opinion, is that that particular socket was part of the house's RFC, and not under its own RCD. If something goes wrong you knock down half house; and that's where the "Sufficient circuits are provided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault." part kicks in.
Am I being too picky?

I'm not saying that, I'm saying it should be used on its own socket with its own RCD, not part of the RFC (sorry, I'm not hooked up on the new nomenclature). The bad part, in my opinion, is that that particular socket was part of the house's RFC, and not under its own RCD. If something goes wrong you knock down half house; and that's where the "Sufficient circuits are provided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault." part kicks in.
Am I being too picky?
I don't know how you are getting into this from a PA test.

Am I being too picky?
How many households in this country do think have dedicated sockets for Use outside? yes I think you are being to picky, common sense rules in this area, not blindly following some edict written by alien entities.

Tis Zone 1 below the bath tub if it is accessible without the use of a tool. If a tool is required to access it then no Zone.
Yes you're right, my mistake as I was writing in a rush. That power supply was actually inside the zone 0, as it was inside a large shower for wheelchairs.

Sheds and garages are not covered in part 7 of bs 7671 as they are not special installations/locations unlike your bathroom/shower room.
Nothing wrong with providing a external socket for using mobile /outdoor equipment provided rcd protection has been provided for said socket and its satisfactory for the external influences it encounters i.e. Correct ip rating.
If the lawnmower is plugged into an internal socket then yes socket ideally should be rcd protected

Shed garages etc are not special locations and zone 0 is in the bath not under it , it would be interesting to see a battry charger IN the bath , as for you telling customers about dangerous situations you need to make sure they are dangerous situations before you give them incorrect information

Edit
Ian beet me to it
Edit
Just read your latest post you should tell the customer the the battery charger should not be located in the shower

I don't know how you are getting into this from a PA test.
I'm not, I just take a note of it and report it to both the client and the company, that's it.

How many households in this country do think have dedicated sockets for Use outside? yes I think you are being to picky, common sense rules in this area, not blindly following some edict written by alien entities.
Well, my common sense tells me that is bad practice. I don't care how many houses use this solution.
How many times I've seen people proving a circuit isolated with a neon screwdriver...
Does it become acceptable just because many are doing it?
This is not blindly following some rules, this is just my common sense which might be different from yours or anyone else's.

It's a bit like an electrician doing an eicr and then pulling the clients appliances apart....

He's not there to check the appliances and your not there to check the fixed wiring.
But if i was doing an eicr and noticed an appliance that was dangerous i would tell the customer not to use it , not just ignore it and hope the customer does not get an electric shock from it .

I'm not, I just take a note of it and report it to both the client and the company, that's it.

Well, my common sense tells me that is bad practice. I don't care how many houses use this solution.
How many times I've seen people proving a circuit isolated with a neon screwdriver...
Does it become acceptable just because many are doing it?
This is not blindly following some rules, this is just my common sense which might be different from yours or anyone else's.
Only trying to help, I'm out

But if i was doing an eicr and noticed an appliance that was dangerous i would tell the customer not to use it , not just ignore it and hope the customer does not get an electric shock from it .
Yeah inform them but your not there to check appliances like kettles and toasters.

Reply to Going beyond PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock