Discuss going for my 2394/2395 any tips? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Make sure your note the terminology used in GN3 and use that terminology in the exam, not what you hear others calling things.

Go onto the city and guilds website and search for the qualification number under the "additional documents" section there are the chief examiners reports that give you information on the most common errors found in the exams, read these and make sure you do not make these mistakes.

Oh and if anyone hasn't mentioned it read GN3, it is where all the questions come from and where all the answers are to be found.

GN3 and terminology as the others have said. DO NOT say you've meggered a circuit or belled it out. Know what information goes on the test sheets and the full correct name of the sheets. Correct sequence of tests and expected results. Don't confuse r1 and R1.

There is nothing scientific other than a bit of ohms law volts drop etc.it is all about practice and procedures and facts. Revise gn3 and ask lots of questions and it should be a breeze

Cheers Howard

GN3 ?? New beginner hence the ??

GN3, this is the industry terminology for the IET Guidance Note 3 Inspection and Testing.

There is a series of 8 IET Guidance notes, GN1 to GN8. These are printed in a way that we can understand without all the gobbledygook that is in BS7671 and are used by normal working electricians like us to fully understand what BS7671 is trying to get at. They also go further into detail, and are well illustrated. If you afford the full set, they are worth having, but wait till next year now, cos the update of BS7671 in Jan 2015, will mean they will need to be re printed.

Cheers..........Howard

I don't have testing and inspection quals and only have little experience on IR and continuity testing (as previously worked as a mate house bashing) so what are the chances of me passing 2394/5 if I did the course?
I'd like to work along side a (proper) spark to gain more experience before I do the course but current commitments mean I cant. Advice please?

All above advice on GN3 is spot on,but i have to add a small addition,it would be not to just read and memorise the details,but ensure you understand the principles that are being applied to the tests. It is surprising how many lads who know the methods and requirements backwards,but cannot explain the fundamental reasons why these are applied.A quick example is a conversation i had with an experienced spark a while back,discussing the "pessimistically low IR" on a large installation,now this,as we know,occurs even with new installs,with all those extra parallel paths...but he was insistent that it was because the larger installations MUST have increased likelyhood of problems due to size. He would not accept that even a run of brand new cable,when of sufficient length,would fail the standard IR test. So,get the fundamental bits fixed in your mind,and all the rest is built on that.Only my twopenneth'...

Reply to going for my 2394/2395 any tips? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock