Discuss Going self employed whilst out of work. Possible? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris70

Hi,

I've joined the forum because I'm worried about my dad. He is finding it hard to get work through an agency that were keen on him. The reason being is they now need for him to be registered as self employed. He's tried the tax office etc with no look and has been told he needs to be in work to go self employed, but cannot get work until he is self employed?

Has anyone else come up against this brick wall too? And if so, or if you have any advice, how can he get around this?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

With self employment,you just do it
You cant be unemployed and self employed at the same time
You need to register with the tax office that you are self employed,they will then bill you eventually for national insurance stamps,you can apply for a unique tax reference No which they will give you
This will enable contractors to deduct the required tax amount, after the revenue decide what that rate will be

as says above, apply over phone around 10 mins, start work, get charged 30% tax until your unique tax reference number comes through , then 20%

Very simple process to register as self employed and get CIS registration. I managed it and have even completed my first tax return, I owe them £0.40, best not leave the country...

Forty pence, be very careful, I was fined a hundred quid for not paying my bill on time for one pence!!! I assumed they would just add one pence to next year, or forget it? The stamp would have cost them more? And how was I to pay it? You can't send cash, and I wasn't going to write a business cheque that costs me X amount. There were some heated phone calls, and letters! But you can't fight the man, just F##$ with him a little!!!

As the rest have said. You can even register as self-employed and work up to 16 hours a week whilst claiming jobseekers allowance.

I was told this while I was out of work 18 months ago. You just declare your hours worked when you sign on :wink_smile:

Thanks for the replies.

I dont understand what he's on about then? From what he said, he cant go self employed whilst unemployed, he needs to get a job first so that they can give him some kind of number or ref?

So, just to clear this up, if you're out of work, decide to go self employed, you just call them up and apply? Then they send you a number?

Forty pence, be very careful, I was fined a hundred quid for not paying my bill on time for one pence!!! I assumed they would just add one pence to next year, or forget it? The stamp would have cost them more? And how was I to pay it? You can't send cash, and I wasn't going to write a business cheque that costs me X amount. There were some heated phone calls, and letters! But you can't fight the man, just F##$ with him a little!!!
Just paid it, not steak for tea tomorrow...

Reply to Going self employed whilst out of work. Possible? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net