Discuss Good drill and driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you're local to a TBS builders merchant, you should pop in, they're selling off all their older Makita stock very cheap, my boss picked up an impact driver, charger and battery for £115. They're doing some cracking deals.

For this range specifically or for erbauer overall?
I don't really know the Erbauer range, although I do have one of their mains planers, which has been OK for the small amount of use I have for it. I get the impression that they're really a Screwfix own brand.

Just did a search on Screwfix for "Erbauer 18V":
Erbauer 18v - Search Results | NoLinkingToThis - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/search?search=erbauer+18V

Then found a supplier with a good range of Makita:
Makita 18v Cordless Tools | Powertool World - http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/brands/makita/makita-18v?limit=all

Just compare the two. If you might want some of the more obscure tools, then plan ahead, so that you can use the same batteries in all your tools. That said, I do have some Makita 10.8V stuff, which is smaller and lighter, and can be a better tool in some situations.

The XR range is the Dewalt stuff.

I have the combi drill, impact, sds, multi tool, circular saw, angle drill and led floodlight, 2x5.0ah 18v batteries and 4x6.0ah 18v/2.0ah 54v flexvolt batteries.

I'm guessing with that level of equipment you are happy with the quality/workmanship and feel?

Yes mate, I initially was going for makita, I always liked their stuff, but decided to check out a heap of reviews and Dewalt won or tied with Milwaukee on all but 1 which was the combi drill I mentioned in an earlier post, which the Milwaukee won on 1 task only. To drill a 32 mm auger but through 9inch of hardwood. It was actually the only one that could. Makita was well behind, plus it didn't have the battery life indicator feature either.

My angle drill and circ saw aren't brushless but the rest is, 3 year warranty on it all too.

I was working along with another lad who has Milwaukee and he loves it, however I found it quite heavy, due to the metal casing, if I had a load of guys working with me I'd have gone for it as it would stand more abuse I'd imagine, but just myself using I find the Dewalt ideal,

I heard that a lot of the cordless stuff actually has the same insides and batteries, they just get cased up differently, not sure how true that is though.

But using other folks stuff let's you see how good or bad it is, everyone's different in what they like, irregardless of budget.

If you think you'll be adding in more cordless gear inside say 2-3 years I'd consider what else you'll want and look at what's available. If you don't, then it won't really matter and maybe going for a cheaper option would be a more suitable option.

That's part of the problem. Iv done some google searching for "makita brushless 18v drill" and there's loads. I don't know which range to choose from lol

Only four Makita brushless 18V LXT combis as far as I can see.

The biggest, heaviest, most torque is DHP481. Then 484, 459, and 483, which is nice and compact. I wouldn't go for the 481 unless you were regularly drilling BIG holes in joists, etc.

Iv been doing some research and Iv narrowed it down to dewalt and Makita. This is purely based on reviews/features/ other equipment within the range and also resale value if I choose to change in the future.

I keep going back to dewalt. That's based on the fact I prefer the look, they are generally slightly cheaper and the reviews and tests outweigh the makita's slightly.

Iv been doing some research and Iv narrowed it down to dewalt and Makita. This is purely based on reviews/features/ other equipment within the range and also resale value if I choose to change in the future.

I keep going back to dewalt. That's based on the fact I prefer the look, they are generally slightly cheaper and the reviews and tests outweigh the makita's slightly.
prefer the makita gear.mainly because you can buy any spare part if needed.

armatures, field coils, switches, brushes, all can be replaced if necessary. i know that with makita gear, any part can be supplied. unlike some things. dyson is one. can't buy replacement brushes (worth about £3), you have to buy a new motor for £90

I am a makita man but have been using a the new dewalt recip for the last couple of months it's ridiculously powerful I think it's 54v!

The other makes will have to bring out new batteries out to catch up now?

You can buy Dewalt parts online, even eBay. Though with brushless you don't need brushes.
yes you do. to sweep up the debris after drilling. :D:D:D.

upload_2017-8-12_9-27-56.jpeg

That combi set looks a good buy but I'm really nervy about buying second hand for stuff like this. If anything goes wrong with them after a month I can't do anything about it, but it is alt cheaper lol

That's why I went with the Dewalt for the 3 year warranty, my metabo wall chaser was a recent purchase and it has 3 years as well, so other brands may all have larger warranties too.

Reply to Good drill and driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net